Wichita Alumni Advisory Board Endowed Scholarship Honoring James Arbertha
- Summary of the Scholarship
- Watch Our Informational Video
- Scholarship Eligibility Information
- How to Donate
- Enter for a Chance to Win a Car from Rusty Eck Ford
- 2012-13 Scholarship Committee Members
What if you had the power to change the future of the neighborhood, community, state, country or world? In the fall of 2007, the Friends University Wichita Alumni Advisory Board was introduced to James Arbertha, executive director of Power CDC, or People Organized Working for Economic Recovery for housing and business development and community rebuilding. Arbertha’s passion for the Wichita community has revealed itself over many years in the coordination and implementation of the revitalization of a distressed area of central northeast Wichita.
Because Arbertha has worked on that community's rejuvenation process since 1994, he and other leaders have come to understand that education is a necessity for that community to be self-sustaining. They have also demonstrated that education can be a vital part of the Wichita community as a whole.
The Wichita Alumni Advisory Board Endowed Scholarship Honoring James Arbertha gives a prospective student the opportunity to get an education, thereby securing hope for a future that impacts us all. The Endowed Scholarship is a "hand up" and not a "hand out." By embracing this philosophy, recipients can care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical and expect more than others think is possible.
Recipients of the Wichita Alumni Advisory Board Endowed Scholarship Honoring James Arbertha may likely be the first in generations of their families to go on to college and pursue higher education. The time spent on and the funding invested in students that go through college all impact the strength and growth of our city. There are many who have the academic strength to succeed at Friends University and ultimately, the scholarship to do so. However, there are just as many in this respective area of our community who simply don’t believe it to be possible.
You have the power to change tomorrow by improving the opportunity for students to recieve an education that will make the world a better place today. Be not afraid of growing too slowly. Be afraid of standing still.
Scholarship Eligibility Information
View map in a larger window.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 17-22.
- The scholarship will be in the amount no less than 50% of the current academic year tuition and fees and will be applied towards tuition, textbooks, or on-campus room and board.
- Applicants must have resided in the "eligibility region" for a minimum of 12 months.
- Southern boundary: 9th St.
- Eastern boundary: Hillside St.
- Northern boundary: 28th St.
- Western boundary: to follow Interstate 135 south to 13th St.; at that location, the western boundary shall extend further west to Wabash St.
- Applicants must have a GPA of at least 2.0 and/or ACT composite score of 18.
- The scholarship will be renewed on a yearly basis so long as the student maintains an overall GPA of 2.5.
You are welcome to make your donation online. When the form opens for you to input your information and donation amount, please click the "Other" button under the Donation Designation section and type in the text box "Wichita Alumni Advisory Board Endowed Scholarship Honoring James Arbertha."
Cash or check donations (made payable to "Friends University") may also be made by sending them to:
c/o Alumni Office
2100 W. University Ave.
Wichita, KS 67213
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Friends University Alumni Office by phone at 316-295-5900 or email email@example.com.
Friends University has partnered with Wichita car dealership Rusty Eck Ford to give anyone a chance to win a new car or truck while helping raise money for the James Arbertha Endowed Scholarship Fund.
Tickets are just $10 each and may be purchased by contacting the Friends University Alumni Office by phone at 316-295-5900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The next raffle drawing will be held by Rusty Eck Ford on Dec. 11, 2013.
- Scot Pierce, G'96 - Chair
- Lisa Kraemer, G'10/M'11 - Secretary
- Sherrie Andersen, G'68
- Nicole Black, G'08
- Jean Bowman, M'11
- Don Hernandez, M'12
- Danielle Howard, G'10
- Lisa Tilma, Executive Director of Alumni Relations - Ex-Officio