Employment Authorization

If an F-1 international student would like to work on campus at Friends University, he or she needs to obtain a Social Security card first. With the assistance of the International Advising Office, the student needs to complete/obtain the following documents:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security card
  • Be able to present a current class schedule from Friends University
  • Current passport
  • Current I-94 Arrival and Departure Card
  • Current I-20 from Friends University
  • An original letter from the designated school official with an original signature
  • An original letter from the University Human Resource Office

Students will generally receive their Social Security card within 30 days, but actual processing times may vary.

Individuals in F-2 status may not accept employment per United States Citizenship and Immigration Services guidelines and therefore are not eligible to apply for a Social Security card.