Falcon Alert Emergency Notification
The Falcon Alert Emergency Notification system alerts the University community in the event of a weather or critical incident emergency. The information you provide will only be used in the event of an emergency that impacts the health and safety of the Friends University community or closures of education centers or the main campus. It will not be shared with others or used for routine Friends University communications or announcements.
Information about Falcon Alert
Automated emergency messaging options include:
- Emergency alerts are sent to friends.edu and student.friends.edu email addresses for all members of the Friends University community.
- SMS/text messages
- Alerts can be sent via text message to student, faculty and staff mobile phones.
All students, faculty and staff are automatically enrolled in the Falcon Alert emergency notification system. The offices of the University Registrar and Human Resources ask that you provide any updates to your mobile phone information as soon as possible to ensure that you receive Falcon Alerts.
You may elect to opt-out of the Falcon Alert system at any time. Click here.
- Opt out completely: Means you will no longer receive emergency messages from the Friends University Falcon Alert system.
- Opt out Mobile Text Messaging: Means you will no longer receive emergency messages via your mobile phone. You will still receive email messages at your University email address.
The Fine Print
- Two test messages per year are scheduled to test the Falcon Alert system. Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your cell phone carrier for this message.
- Although we will make every effort to deliver emergency information, due to limitations with public carrier networks we cannot guarantee you will receive an emergency message.
- The use of this capability will be limited to emergency communications. Emergency communications are defined as urgent notices regarding matters that impact the health and safety of members of the Friends University community and closures of the main campus or education centers. This determination will be made only by the president, vice presidents, site directors, director of physical plant or director of campus security.
- We will not give, rent or voluntarily supply your information to any third party for any reason other than emergency notification.
- You may return to this page at any time to update your information or opt out of Falcon Alert completely. You will also be automatically unsubscribed from the Falcon Alert system when you terminate your relationship with the University. Once your Friends username is decommissioned, your enrollment in Falcon Alert will terminate automatically.
- Falcon Alert is supported by all major carriers, including Alltel, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.
Information About the Federal Regulation
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC § 1092(f)) is the landmark federal law, originally known as the Campus Security Act, that requires colleges and universities across the United States to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. Subsequent amendments in 2000 and 2008 added provisions dealing with registered sex offender notification and campus emergency response, respectively. The 2008 amendments also added a provision to protect crime victims, "whistleblowers" and others from retaliation.
The 2008 amendments include the requirement that all schools have an emergency notification policy, procedures and a notification system of some type in place by July 2010. The University adopted the following University policy in May 2010.
University Policy Statement:
Emergency Notification Policy
Friends University will make every effort to implement emergency notifications as soon as reasonably possible from the time appropriate personnel are aware of a campus emergency situation or incident. No guarantee is made as to the timeframe or avenue through which communications will be attempted.
In the event of an emergency the following procedures will be followed to contact students, faculty and staff:
- Mass email to all students, faculty, and staff via student.friends.edu and friends.edu addresses.
- Text message to all students, faculty and staff via Emergency Notification System.
- Phone message to all students, faculty and staff via Emergency Notification System.
Faculty, staff and students are responsible for providing all necessary contact information, including updates to that information. Friends University cannot provide communication with those who fail to provide current phone numbers and/or contact information.
Friends University is not responsible for problems which may arise due to cellular phone providers, internet interruptions, cell phone malfunctions or inability to access e mail.
All Friends University students, faculty and staff will be automatically enrolled in the University’s emergency notification system. Students wishing to opt out of emergency notifications can do so by completing a form in the Office of the University Registrar. Faculty and staff wishing to opt out of emergency notifications can do so by completing a form in the Human Resources Department.