Ready to apply? Follow the steps below.

Step 1: Apply

The non-refundable international application fee is US$50.

Online or PDF
Get started here.


Applying60 days
Submitting documents30 days
Arriving15 days (first-time in United States)
7 days (transfer within United States)

Step 2: Send


International students who wish to enroll must submit:

  • Completed and signed Financial Pledge form(s) (Sample 1, Sample 2) and certificate of financial support;
  • Official financial document (statement, letter, etc.) from their financial institution (i.e., bank) or sponsor, to show at least US$23,000 available for the first year of study at Friends University. This must be provided in, or translated into, English.

All new international students who wish to enroll are required to pay to the University upon enrollment a deposit of US$5,000, which will be applied toward one-year medical insurance, tuition, and other deposits/fees.

peerTransferFriends University has partnered with peerTransfer in order to streamline the process of international payments. peerTransfer allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency. By making your payment with peerTransfer you can

  • Track your payments from start to finish
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Contact their multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night

To get started, click or go to: to begin the payment process. If you have questions about making an international payment, visit


First semester
All new international students must pay off the cost of their first semester at Friends University between their arrival date and the program start date.

Although Friends University currently does not offer full-tuition scholarship, international students meeting its academic criteria upon enrollment can receive either:

  • Automatic 50 percent tuition scholarship (renewable) for traditional undergraduate students or
  • Combination of our institutional scholarships (also renewable)

For more information on Friends University’s scholarships, click here.

All new international students who wish to enroll at Friends University will be required to take either an English placement essay or an English placement test. Your English proficiency, educational background, and/or country of origin will determine your English requirement.

Choose from the following categories and find out about your English requirement.

  • I am a non-native English speaker applying from abroad.
  • I am a non-native English speaker but attended high school/college in the United States
  • I am a native English speaker from an English speaking country.

All international students must submit the official transcripts (academic records) from their high schools or colleges/universities.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)
All international students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 point scale to be admitted.

Choose from the following categories and find out about your transcript requirement.

  • I have not attended a school in the United States before.
  • I have attended a school in the United States before.

Step 3: Prepare

Government Documents

Apply for a Student Visa

  • SEVIS I-901
    The fee for SEVIS I-901, a government document, must be paid online with a credit card (recommended) BEFORE applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate and/or before entering the United States. A paper form of I-901 can also be submitted by mail.

    For more detailed information, visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program at
  • F-1
    For information about student visa (F-1) application, visit the U.S. Department of State website at

Transferring from another U.S. school
After receiving the admission letter from Friends University, international students transferring from another U.S. school must submit the completed and signed Transfer In Request form. This form verifies the student has the immigration status necessary to transfer.

Reporting 15 days before the program start date
Initial F-1 visa international students and transfer students must report to the International Student Advisor within 15 days of the program start date.

Health Insurance

  1. Policy
    Friends University offers a student insurance policy through Student Assurance Services. All F-1 International students are required to sign up for this plan. As a new UNDERGRADUATE international student joining Friends University for the first time, you will be automatically charged for this plan as part of your initial deposit.
  2. Cost
    Initial deposit of US$5,000 will cover the annual insurance cost.
  3. Enrollment
    New F-1 International UNDERGRADUATE students should complete an enrollment form after receiving their initial I-20 and forward it to the Health and Wellness Office. Forms may be scanned, faxed or mailed. The enrollment form can be obtained by visiting this website:

    Please send forms by way of scan, fax or mail to:
    Friends University Health and Wellness Office
    2100 W. University Ave.
    Wichita, KS  67213
    Phone 316-295-5661
    Fax 316-295-5235
  4. Attention
    You will NOT be able to register for classes until you can show proof that you are enrolled in this plan.

    A hold will be placed on your student account that will be lifted after presenting proof of enrollment.  Proof may be obtained by submitting your application to school.

It is mandatory that all new F-1 students be tested for tuberculosis (TB). However, DO NOT have this test done prior to coming to the United States.

On-campus Housing

To inquire and apply, click here.

Off-campus Housing
If students decide to live off campus during their study at Friends University, rental apartments and houses are available near the University campus.

Step 4: Travel

  • Flight destination: Wichita (city), Kansas (state).
  • Airport: Wichita Mid-Continent Airport (code: ICT).
  • Recommended arrival date: at least 15 days before the program start date

Air transportation to and from the student’s home country is the responsibility of the student/parents. Students are required to have a round-trip ticket.

Step 5: Arrive

Pick-up at ICT
Friends University representatives will provide transportation from Wichita Mid-Continent Airport (ICT) to the Friends University campus. To arrange transportation prior to arrival, please contact the Admissions Office at

All international students arriving at Friends University for the first time must attend the New International Student orientation. During orientation, students will learn about and complete the following prevention and immunization. You CANNOT enroll in classes until you have completed the following step(s).

Tuberculosis (TB)
It is mandatory that all new F-1 students be tested for TB.

Beginning in the fall of 2010, the QFT will be the required TB test. After meeting with your International Advisor and the Health and Wellness Coordinator, you will be required to go to Affiliated Medical Service labs for the TB test (or the appropriate lab for your area).

There is a specific location set up to have your lab drawn. Please wait until we have given you the appropriate paperwork with directions to the facility.

DO NOT have this test done prior to coming to the United States.

Your university-sponsored health insurance policy covers this test; however, there is a US$50 deductible for the health plan. So it is very important that you have enrolled in the health insurance plan prior to your international orientation meeting. Otherwise, you will pay full price for this test at the time of the lab visit.

Please be prepared to pay the US$50 fee at the time of the lab visit.

Meningitis (if living on campus)
If you will be living in any Friends University housing, it is mandatory that you receive a meningitis vaccine prior to moving into the facility.

The vaccination must be current, typically received within the past three to five years. A meningitis vaccine given as a young child does not meet the current requirements.

Please bring proof of this vaccination, along with a copy of all of your immunization records (from birth to present date), to the Health and Wellness Office when you attend your international orientation meeting.

If you are not living in University housing, please disregard this requirement.

Click here to learn more about life in Wichita.