New and Transfer International Students

Pre-Arrival Information

International Pre-Arrival is for international students accepted to Friends University and ready to make travel and living arrangements in Wichita, Kansas.

Congratulations on your recent admission to Friends University! We are looking forward to having you here. Please take time to read all of the information you received with your admission documents. Then, explore our website for more detailed information about all of the things you need to take care of before your arrival.

For questions, please contact our office by email or phone at:
Phone: 316-295-5675

All international students entering the U.S. will be directed to secondary inspection after completing the first level of screening by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Secondary inspections give CBP access to the Department of Homeland Security's Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to confirm students' eligibility for entry to the U.S.

If you will have connecting flights following your arrival to the U.S., we recommend allowing additional time between flights (minimum 2-3 hours).

Arrival Date Recommendations

We recommend students book flights to Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport. Specific dates will be given once a schedule is announced.

Airport Shuttle

Students MUST fly in to Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport (ICT) in Wichita, Kansas (KS) in order to be picked up upon arrival. Friends University International Services offers a free airport shuttle from Mid-Continent Airport to the student’s housing (within Wichita city limits). If you want to use the airport shuttle service please complete the online form for shuttle requests. Make sure to ask the International Services Office in you have any questions before you purchase your airline ticket. They can be reached at

If students do not fly to Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport, they will need to make their own travel arrangements to get to Wichita, Kansas at their own expense. International Services will pick you up from Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport for free. If your flight information changes, please forward an updated itinerary to

For students living off-campus, it is strongly encouraged that you make arrangements with your landlord upon arrival. This would avoid the need for you to spend additional money at a hotel. 

Visa Information 

Please keep in mind that the student visa process is often lengthy. Schedule your visa interview as soon as possible after you receive your I-20. Give yourself as much time as possible to get your visa and make your travel arrangements!

For more information about the Visa appplication process and requirements visit

To check the status of your student visa on the U.S. Department of State website use the new Visa Check Tool

On-Campus Housing
On-campus housing is a great choice for new international students. Community and Residential Development staff take a sincere interest in your personal growth and development. They offer student-oriented services to meet your needs and place a high priority on treating students as individuals. Friends University housing options are very competitive in price and quality compared to area apartment complexes. Living on campus becomes your best housing value after factoring in time saved in food preparation and transportation! If students decide not to live in a residence hall, they may look for rental apartments located around the university. The rental apartments and houses available vary in location, facilities and rent fees.

To apply for on-campus housing please fill out an application

Meal Plans

You will be required to pay in full for your first semester (payment plans can be utilized in subsequent semesters).

  • Freshmen living in Green Hall must have one of the top five listed options. Most first-year students select Carte Blanche and $100 Declining Card Balance (DCB).
  • All first-year commuting students must have a $220 DCB meal plan for their first year.
  • Any student that is above freshman standing and not living on campus in not required to have a meal plan.
  • Students that are living on campus in housing other than Green Hall must choose from five (5) tickets/week and $100 DCB/semester or three (3) tickets/week and $175 DCB/semester. Students who are not freshmen have two options five (5) tickets/week and $100 DCB/semester or three (3) tickets/week and $175 DCB/semester. 
TB Screening:
A TB screening is required for all first-time on-campus enrollees, which includes all international students. This will be done during orientation for new students in the fall or spring semesters. If you miss the orientation, you will need to visit AMS Labs to have the TB test done on your own. 

TB screenings are MANDATORY. This must be completed before the first day of class. Students will not be allowed to attend class if this process is not complete.

Tuberculosis (TB) is a chronic or acute bacterial infection that primarily attacks the lungs, but may also affect the kidneys, bones, lymph nodes, and brain. Symptoms of TB include coughing, chest pain, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, chills, and fatigue. Children and people with weakened immune systems are the most susceptible to TB. Half of all untreated TB cases are fatal.

If you test negative for TB, no further testing is required and you will be notified by the Health and Wellness Office. If you test positive for TB, we will assist you in scheduling a mandatory chest x-ray and discuss further treatment options. 

Meningitis Vaccine:
If you live in University Housing, Friends University requires you to get the meningitis vaccination or sign a waiver indicating you are knowledgeable of the risks of bacterial meningitis and your decision to not be vaccinated. This requirement must be met prior to being allowed to move into campus housing. All students who have been vaccinated must provide documentation of immunization.

If you don't live in University Housing, we still strongly recommend you become informed about meningitis and consider vaccination to reduce your risk of this very serious illness.

Transfer Information

Transfer to Friends University from another U.S. school:
After being admitted to Friends University, international students must request a transfer of their SEVIS record. Consult with International Student Advisors at both the previous school and Friends University to make sure the F-1 transfer is handled properly.

An F-1 student is eligible to transfer to Friends University if he or she is in valid F-1 status at the time of transfer. There can be no more than a five-month gap between schools from the last date of attendance, OR the last day of Optional Practical Training (OPT), whichever is later. The deadline for F-1 students to request a transfer is 60 days after the program completion date or OPT end date, whichever is later.

Traveling Between Schools:
Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their Friends University I-20 and not the previous school's document. F-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US.

Transfer from Friends University to another U.S. School:
If you are planning to leave Friends University to attend another U.S. school, you must request a "transfer out" from International Services at Friends University. The advisor will release your SEVIS record to the new school. The date of your release depends on your program status.

New Student Handbook:
The new student handbook for international students provides informaiton about Wichita, Friends University and immigration information. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email