Cherry Carnival Ushers in Chili Cook-off, Athletic Hall of Fame Inductions
As part of their Cherry Carnival Week, Friends University welcomes students, staff, faculty, alumni and their families to attend the 12th annual Chili Cook-off from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 11, in the Garvey P.E. Center Multipurpose Room. This free event has become popular in the campus community with more than 900 attendees last year. Participants can sample each booth’s chili and vote on best theme and best chili as well as snack on hot dogs, beverages and ice cream.
Following the cook-off, the Athletic Department and Alumni Office will host the Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony. The ceremony will take place during halftime of the Bethel College versus Friends University game that starts at 8 p.m. in the Garvey Gymnasium. Six past athletes and coaches will be honored this year with a place in the Hall of Fame. These inductees are selected by a committee of staff and alumni based on nominations received from members of the Friends University community. They are:
- Jerry Joy, coach 1969-75, of Stella, Neb. – athletic director, head baseball and football coach
- Doug Stewart, G’75, of Wichita, Kan. – football
- Gerald “Jerry” May, G’75, of Wichita, Kan. – football (*deceased)
- Larry Becker, G’76, of Wichita, Kan. – football
- Ivan Diggs, G’82, of Richardson, Texas – football, basketball, baseball and track
- Amy James-Felker, G’99, of Dighton, Kan. – basketball
Click here for a list of past inductees.
For more information about the Chili Cook-off, please contact Terri Erker at 316-295-5835 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the Athletic Hall of Fame, please contact the Alumni Office at 316-295-5900 or email@example.com.