The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Systems degree is designed for students seeking programming skills, managerial positions in computer information systems, business analyst skills, supervisor assignments in computer-related areas, or preparation for graduate studies, particularly in the fields of computer science, computer information systems and management information systems.
Core requirements include programming, networking principles, Internet concepts, data structures, systems analysis methods, applied software development and more.
All CSIS courses include a hands-on component with labs. Each course includes a student-designed learning project, as well as a team-based software application development project that involves gathering business requirements from an external client and then designing, developing and implementing the project at the client site. Implementation includes system and user documentation, developing application documentation, delivering user training, and system/application installation.
CSIS faculty have IT work experience in the following areas: banking, education, futures trading, beef processing, manufacturing, military logistics and personnel management, oil and gas, healthcare, data analytics, and technical training.
In the last seven years, 85 percent of Computer Science and Information Systems and Management Information Systems graduates maintained employment in their field.
- Demonstrate proficiency in computer programming design, development and testing using an industry standard programming language.
- Demonstrate proficiency in web application design and development using industry standard tools, technology and techniques.
- Demonstrate proficiency in database design, development and reporting using industry standard relational tools and techniques.
- Demonstrate a general understanding of computer network terminology and concepts.
- Demonstrate proficiency in industry standard word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software as integrated productivity and decision support tools.
“I am a big believer that we are our environment. Friends University provided a perfect environment with all of the necessities to promote growth and ensure success.” – Daniel DeLonge, Graybar Electric Co.