Campus Map

Click on a listing below or a building above for more information.
  1. Adair-Austin Stadium
  2. Casado Campus Center (CCC)
  3. Centennial Lane
  4. College of Adult and Professional Studies / Information Technology facility
  5. Davis Administration Building
  6. Energy Center / Security Office
  7. Falcon Flats
  8. Falcon Glenn
  9. Flag Court
  10. Friends Village
  11. Garvey Art Center (ART)
  12. Olive White Garvey Business and Technology Building (BTB)
  13. Garvey Physical Education Center (GPE)
  14. Green Residence Hall
  15. Hoyt Athletic Field
  16. Forrest C. Lattner Tennis Courts
  17. Marriage & Family Therapy facility / Center on Family Living (MFT)
  18. Paul's Pond
  19. William Penn Science Building and Sebits Science Hall (SCI)
  20. Dr. Katherine Pennington Circle of Friends Plaza
  21. President's Home
  22. Riney Fine Arts Center and Sebits Fine Arts Addition (RFA)
  23. Rose Window Plaza
  24. J.R and Gertrude Smith Apartments
  25. Edmund Stanley Library (LIB)
  26. Sumpter Hall
  27. Dr. David Weber's Meadow
  28. To West Side Athletic Field (571 N. McLean Blvd.)
To download a printable PDF, click here.
Davis Administration Building (DAV)

Click for more information.
Edmund Stanley Library (LIB)

Click for more information.
William Penn Science Building and Sebits Science Hall (SCI)

Click for more information.
Riney Fine Arts Center and Sebits Fine Arts Addition (RFA)

Click for more information.
Olive White Garvey Business and Technology Building (BTB)

Click for more information.
Falcon Glenn

Click for more information.
President's Home

Click for more information.
Smith Apartments

Click for more information.
Friends Village

Click for more information.
Marriage & Family Therapy facility/Center on Family Living (MFT)
Click for more information.
Casado Campus Center (CCC)

Click for more information.
Green Residence Hall

Click for more information.
Falcon Flats

Click for more information.
Garvey Physical Education Center (GPE)

Click for more information.
Garvey Art Center (ART)

Click for more information.
College of Adult and Professional Studies/ Information Technology facility
Click for more information.
Sumpter Hall

Click for more information.
Energy Center/Security Office

Click for more information.
Adair-Austin Stadium

Click for more information.
Hoyt Athletic Field

Click for more information.
Rose Window Plaza

Click for more information.
Dr. Katherine Pennington Circle of Friends Plaza

Click for more information.
Forrest C. Lattner Tennis Courts

Click for more information.
To West Side Athletic Field (571 N. McLean Blvd.)

Click for more information.
Centennial Lane

Click for more information.
Flag Court

Click for more information.
Paul's Pond

Click for more information.
Dr. David Weber's Meadow

Click for more information.

DAVIS ADMINISTRATION BUILDING (DAV)

Constructed: 1886-88
Opened for Use: 1887

Current Use: Classrooms; Alumni Auditorium; Administrative Offices: Admissions; Alumni Office; Campus Ministries; College of Business, Arts, Sciences and Education; Davis Communications Center; Division of Education; Division of Religion and Humanities; Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences; Financial Aid; Marketing and Strategic Growth; President's Office; Institutional Advancement; Communications; Admissions Processing

When it was built in 1886-88, the structure now known as the Davis Administration Building held more floor space under one roof than any other educational facility west of the Mississippi. The building was originally constructed as Garfield University and was named University Hall. After Garfield University closed, the building was empty for five years until James M. Davis, a wealthy Quaker businessman, bought the building and donated it to the Society of Friends (Quakers). The building's name was changed to the Davis Administration Building in 1923 in honor of Mr. Davis and wife Anna.

The Richardson Romanesque-style building designed by noted architects Proudfoot and Bird serves as a Wichita landmark and the center of Friends University's picturesque campus. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Alumni Auditorium is located in the west wing of the third floor. The auditorium can seat approximately 680 people and features the stained-glassed Rose Window on the west wall and 20 other stained-glass windows. The auditorium was restored in the early 1990s and is used weekly during the traditional academic year for Faith and Learning as well as for performances, lectures, meetings and the occasional wedding.

In recent years, the Davis building has undergone a $10 million restoration to preserve the building so it may continue to serve students and the Wichita community into the 21st century.


INTERESTING FACTS

• The Davis building is 77,474 square feet and measures 232 feet in length, 150 feet in width and approximately 100 feet in height.
• The building was constructed in brick with stone trim. It was built without steel and has no insulation.
• The clock tower is 148 feet high.
• The clock was purchased for $1,800 in 1931 from E. Howard and Co. of Boston as a class gift.
• The clock faces are 10 feet high. The pendulum is 9 feet long and is made of selected cherry wood. It is designed to swing 40 times in a minute and features a "dead-beat" type of escapement. However, because the pendulum is made of wood, it becomes slightly heavier during humid weather and slows down; during dry weather it becomes lighter and speeds up.
• The stained-glass Rose Window in Alumni Auditorium is 14.5 feet in diameter.
• The slate roof weighs 350,000 pounds and is covered by 350 squares of slate.
• Stained glass tops the windows on the second and third floors on the east side of the building only.

EDMUND STANLEY LIBRARY (LIB)

Constructed: 1968
Opened for Use: 1970

Current Use: Library; Quaker Room; Center for Online Learning and Academic Technology; Classrooms

Edmund Stanley Library features more than 100,000 books and other volumes, Internet access, online information resources, accessible computers, a multimedia room and equipment, and digital and multimedia classrooms. The building also houses the Quaker Room and Friends University archives, which contain a variety of historical, cultural, genealogical and other types of information. These resources are open by appointment only. The facility has four distinct large statuary pieces designed by Bernard Frazier (d. 1976). They include Faith, Perception, Empathy and Intellect and are located at the four corners of the building surrounded by brick walls. The library is named after the first president of Friends University, Edmund Stanley, who served from 1898-1918.


WILLIAM PENN SCIENCE BUILDING
AND SEBITS SCIENCE HALL (SCI)

Constructed: 1970
Opened for Use: 1973

Current Use: Natural Science and Mathematics Division Offices; Classrooms; Laboratories

William Penn Science Building and Sebits Science Hall are home to the biology, chemistry, mathematics and zoo science programs. The building contains laboratories, classroom and faculty offices. Sebits Science Hall was a 12,000-square-foot addition dedicated in 1999 and made possible by Carl and Dixie Sebits of Cheney, Kansas. The building is named in honor of William Penn, a Quaker founder of Pennsylvania Colony, who was an “inspiration for pioneering spirits in socio-economics, government and religion.”


RINEY FINE ARTS CENTER AND
SEBITS FINE ARTS ADDITION (RFA)

Constructed: 1964
Opened for Use: 1965

Current Use: Division of Fine Arts Offices; Sebits Auditorium; Riney Fine Arts Gallery; Cornerstone Studio Theatre

This building serves the areas of music, dance, drama and art with classrooms, music and ballet studios, a music library, an art exhibition space, and a large recital hall. The center also houses Sebits Auditorium, which is used for recitals, lectures and dramatic productions. Riney Fine Arts Gallery is located on the south side of the center by the Division of Fine Arts Office and features monthly art exhibits from a variety of artists. The Sebits Fine Arts Addition was opened for use in June 2000 and was made possible by Carl and Dixie Sebits of Cheney, Kansas. The building’s auditorium (originally named Alexander Auditorium) was re-named in honor of the Sebits in fall 2007. The building was named Whittier Fine Arts Center (after Quaker poet John Greenleaf Whittier) from 1964 until 2005. It was re-named Riney Fine Arts Center in honor of long-time Fine Arts Chairman and Singing Quaker Director Cecil J. Riney, a 1953 graduate of Friends University.


OLIVE WHITE GARVEY BUSINESS
AND TECHNOLOGY BUILDING (BTB)

Constructed: 1995
Opened for Use: 1996

Current Use: Division of Business and Information Technology; Graduate School Offices; Computer Labs

This facility is named after Olive White Garvey and provides state-of-the-art facilities for the University’s undergraduate business and Graduate School programs. Mrs. Garvey began serving on the Friends University Board of Trustees in 1963 and served for 15 years, providing leadership and significant financial support. The building features 12 classrooms, eight computer labs, faculty offices and a conference room.


FALCON GLENN

Constructed: 2006
Opened for Use: 2006

Current Use: Student Housing

This 24-unit apartment complex is located at the corner of Mentor and Glenn and can accommodate up to 50 students. Students are eligible to live in the facility once they become sophomores. Two resident assistants live in the apartments to assist with housing needs 24 hours a day.


PRESIDENT’S HOME

Constructed/Purchased: 1904/1922

Current Use: President’s Residence

Before serving as the President’s Home in recent years, the stately house at the corner of University Avenue and Hiram Street previously served as home to the music department, residence hall, student union, art department and more. The home was built in the early 1900s by Colorado gold miner John Kuhn. Friends University purchased it in 1922 to house the music department. In 1930, it became a men’s residence hall that was officially called East Hall, but referred to by students as Minden Hall after Friends University President Dr. William O. Mindenhall. In the 1940s, it became a women’s residence hall with residents sleeping on unheated sleeping porches on the north and east sides. In the late 1950s and 1960s, it served intermittently as a student union and married students housing before becoming home to the Art Department in the 1970s. In 1984, the house was converted back into a private residence as housing for the president of Friends University.


J.R. AND GERTRUDE SMITH APARTMENTS

Constructed: 2008
Opened for Use: 2009

Current Use: Upperclass Housing

Friends University’s most recent housing facility accommodates approximately 80 upperclassmen in an apartment-style atmosphere. The three-story, 40,382-square-foot building offers one-bedroom, two-bedroom and studio options with laundry facilities on each floor. A professional staff member lives in the facility to assist residents. Students are eligible to live in the facility once they become sophomores. The building is named in memory of J.R. and Gertrude Smith of Harper, Kansas, who gifted more the $3 million to the University and had a close relationship with the University from 1991 until Gertrude’s death in 2009.


FRIENDS VILLAGE

Constructed: 1984
Opened for Use: 1985

Current Use: Upperclass Housing

This student residence facility has 47 apartments that accommodate approximately 80 students. Students are eligible to live in the facility once they become sophomores. The building was originally built by the University in the 1980s as a retirement facility to house elderly members of Quaker churches, but was converted to student housing in fall 2000 to meet increasing demand for on-campus student housing.


MARRIAGE AND FAMILY THERAPY
FACILITY/CENTER ON FAMILY LIVING (MFT)

Constructed: 1999
Opened for Use: 2000

Current Use: Marriage and Family Therapy Programs and Center on Family Living

Friends University constructed this building to accommodate its graduate program in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT). The north side of the building houses offices, classrooms and a conference room for the graduate program; the south side of the facility houses the Center on Family Living (CFL). As part of their degree program, MFT graduate students provide therapeutic services to individuals, couples and families from Wichita and the surrounding communities through the CFL.


CASADO CAMPUS CENTER (CCC)

Constructed: 1987
Opened for Use: 1989

Current Use: Student Union, Bookstore; Dining Hall; McKay Gymnasium; Student Affairs Offices; President’s Dining Room

Located just north of Kellogg Avenue, Casado Campus Center serves as the student union and is named after the Casado family, who operated a neighborhood grocery store in this location for many years. Luis and Vera Casado of Wichita contributed the leading gift for the building, and he served on the Friends University Board of Trustees from 1955 to 1992. McKay Gymnasium is named in honor of John and Dorothy McKay. John and Dorothy are 1961 graduates of Friends University. She is the daughter of Luis and Vera Casado. Friends University renovated the Casado Campus Center Dining Hall in 2007 to more closely resemble an upscale dining experience. The Bookstore is located on the lower level and offers a variety of Friends University and Friends University Falcons merchandise.


GREEN RESIDENCE HALL

Constructed: 2003
Opened for Use: 2004

Current Use: Student Housing

This 60,000-square-foot facility is home base for approximately 180 students (mostly freshmen and first-year transfers) living on campus. The facility is located just north of Kellogg and features suite-style living. Two professional Residence Life staff and six resident assistants live in the hall and are available to assist students 24 hours a day. The building received the Wichita Metro Chamber of Commerce Keeper of the Plains Award in 1997. The award recognizes outstanding local architectural construction, including aesthetic quality, improvement to the physical environment, visibility and a well-maintained appearance. The residence hall was designed to fit with other buildings on campus, most notably the Davis Administration Building. In addition, a pond with a fountain and koi fish is located to the southwest of the facility. The Board of Trustees unanimously voted to name the residence hall after President Dr. Biff Green and wife Binnie in honor of their service and dedication to Friends University since 1991.


FALCON FLATS

Constructed: 1966
Opened for Use: 1966

Current Use: Student Housing

Falcon Flats has 12 apartments for students who are sophomores, juniors or seniors. The facility was originally built as an apartment complex for married students and was previously called Hackney Apartments due to funding from the Hackney estate. Students voted to change the name to Falcon Flats in 2000.


GARVEY PHYSICAL EDUCATION CENTER (GPE)
AND GARVEY ART CENTER (ART)

Constructed: 1969
Opened for Use: 1970

Current Use: Athletic Office, Garvey Gymnasium, Weight Training Facilities; Art Department

The south end of this facility is home to the Friends University Falcons and the Athletics Department. The men’s and women’s basketball teams and the women’s volleyball team play their games in Garvey Gymnasium. The northwest section houses the Art Department. The building was originally constructed in connection with the Westside YMCA, with part of the building serving the University’s needs for athletic facilities and part of it housing the YMCA. The partnership lasted for approximately 10 years, and the building was named in honor of Olive White Garvey.


GARVEY PHYSICAL EDUCATION CENTER (GPE)
AND GARVEY ART CENTER (ART)

Constructed: 1969
Opened for Use: 1970

Current Use: Athletic Office, Garvey Gymnasium, Weight Training Facilities; Art Department

The south end of this facility is home to the Friends University Falcons and the Athletics Department. The men’s and women’s basketball teams and the women’s volleyball team play their games in Garvey Gymnasium. The northwest section houses the Art Department. The building was originally constructed in connection with the Westside YMCA, with part of the building serving the University’s needs for athletic facilities and part of it housing the YMCA. The partnership lasted for approximately 10 years, and the building was named in honor of Olive White Garvey.


COLLEGE OF ADULT AND PROFESSIONAL
STUDIES/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY FACILITY

Constructed: 2004
Opened for Use: 2005

Current Use: College of Adult and Professional Studies Academic and Admissions Offices; Information Technology Offices, Classroom

The east side of the College of Adult and Professional Studies/Information Technology facility (CAPS/IT facility) houses academic and admission offices and a classroom for adult students returning to complete an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. The west side houses the University’s Information Technology area. The building sits on the former site of Woolman Hall, a men’s residence hall.


SUMPTER HALL

Constructed: 1949
Opened for Use: 1950

Current Use: Graduate Admissions; Administrative Offices: Registrar; Administration and Finance; Human Resources; Student Account Services

Located directly south of the Davis Administration Building, this building houses administrative offices such as the Registrar’s Office and Administration and Finance. When the building first opened, it housed the cafeteria, the Home Economics Department, the Art Department and the Bookstore. Much later, it housed the College of Business and the College of Adult and Professional Studies before buildings were constructed for these areas. The building is named after Bertha Sumpter, a retired minister, who contributed two wheat farms (worth $60,000 at the time) toward the fundraising campaign for the building. In addition, the University sought donated work-hours to help with construction of the building, and in October 1949 the campus newspaper reported that 3,500 work-hours had been pledged.


ENERGY CENTER/SECURITY OFFICE

Constructed: 1977
Opened for Use: 1977

Current Use: Security Services; Energy Facility for Davis Administration Building

Since the late 1970s, this small brick building to the west of Davis Administration Building has housed energy facilities for the 77,400-square-foot Davis Administration Building. In addition, it also includes an office for law enforcement officers who provide security services on campus outside of regular office hours.


ADAIR-AUSTIN STADIUM

Constructed: 1970
Opened for Use: 1970

Current Use: Stadium Seating; Physical Plant Office

Adair-Austin stadium provides seating for up to 2,600 spectators for football, men’s and women’s soccer, and track and field. It is named in memory of Edgar H. Adair, Edgar Harvey Adair Jr., John Gamble Austin and John David “Jack” Austin. Edward Adair was a halfback on the Friends University football team from 1917 to 1919 and served as captain.


HOYT ATHLETIC FIELD

Constructed: 1970
Opened for Use: 1970

Current Use: Football; Men’s and Women’s Soccer; Track and Field

Hoyt Athletic Field is the site for Friends Falcon football games, men’s and women’s soccer matches, and track and field meets. In 1998, Friends University was one of the first universities in the United States to convert from a grass field to a then-new synthetic material, called AstroPlay. AstroPlay is now found on many athletic fields around the nation and works well for both football and soccer. (The field was resurfaced again in 2006.) In 1998 Friends University also built a track that allowed the University to offer a track and field program once again after many years. Hoyt Athletic Field is named for Fred Hoyt, a 1904 graduate, who played on the football team and worked tirelessly to improve football facilities at Friends University. He was also “largely responsible for the famous defeat of Fairmount University (the precursor to Wichita State University) in 1900.”


ROSE WINDOW PLAZA

Constructed: 1996
Opened for Use: 1996

Current Use: Special Events

Rose Window Plaza serves as an attractive entrance to the historic Davis Administration Building and as a site for special events throughout the year. The plaza was designed by Wilson, Darnell and Mann in Wichita to replace the previous Circle Drive. The paved plaza’s design replicates the design from the Rose Window located on the west wall in Alumni Auditorium and took 28,175 bricks to complete. The University also grassed over the street leading to Circle Drive and added flower beds, trees and shrubs, seating areas, and period-appropriate light fixtures that provide a welcoming environment for students, employees and visitors. Rose Window Plaza won a national design award from the Concrete Pavement Awards for Decorative & Durable Design soon after its completion. It was the first-place entry in the Commercial Precast division.


DR. KATHERINE PENNINGTON CIRCLE OF FRIENDS PLAZA

Constructed: 2005
Opened for Use: 2005

Current Use: Recognition of Alumni, Donors, Classes and More

This paved plaza joins Green Residence Hall with the rest of campus and was dedicated at Homecoming 2005. Engraved bricks can be purchased to honor alumni, classes, donors, current students, employees and friends of the University. Funds raised are used to support scholarships for children of alumni. The plaza is named after 1937 graduate Dr. Katherine Pennington, who was a beloved Wichita pediatrician and served on the Friends University Board of Trustees from 1971 to 1982.


FORREST C. LATTNER TENNIS COURTS

Constructed: 1995
Opened for Use: 1995

Current Use: Varsity Tennis Matches

The Forrest C. Lattner Tennis Courts feature four championship courts used by the men’s and women’s tennis teams. Prior to their construction, Friends University tennis teams had to play off-campus at a tennis center in the Riverside area in Wichita. The courts were constructed as the result of a grant from the Forrest C. Lattner Foundation. Mr. Lattner worked on Wall Street before moving to Delray Beach, Florida, and founding two companies before his death in 1989 at age 87. His grandson, Andrew Harris, graduated in 1989 and was a member of the tennis team. He asked his grandfather to consider designating a charitable gift for the team, but Mr. Lattner passed away before a gift could be made. A grant request was submitted to the Lattner Foundation in 1993, the grant was approved, and the courts were dedicated in honor of Forrest C. Lattner in October 1995.


WEST SIDE ATHLETIC FIELD

Leased: 2009
Opened for Use: 2010

Current Use: Home Field for Falcon Baseball

Friends University partnered with the City of Wichita to lease the baseball field and stadium at West Side Athletic Field as the home for Falcon Baseball beginning in 2010. The field is located less than two miles north of the University at 571 N. McLean Blvd. The Wichita City Council approved the leasing agreement at its Dec. 1, 2009 meeting, and Falcon Baseball played its first game at the location Feb. 13, 2010. The University is responsible for maintenance and has made improvements and enhancements to the facility. Falcon Baseball previously played at Westurban Complex, nearly six miles from campus.


CENTENNIAL LANE

Constructed: 1996
Opened for Use: 1996

Current Use: Special Events

Centennial Lane leads up to Rose Window Plaza and the historic Davis Administration Building. Formerly named Circle Drive, the road used to continue from University Ave. and Hiram St. all the way up to the entrance of Davis. It was grassed over during the construction of Rose Window Plaza, and now features flower beds, trees and shrubs, seating areas, and period-appropriate light fixtures that provide a welcoming environment for students, employees and visitors.


FLAG COURT

Constructed: 1982
Opened for Use: 1982

Current Use: Special Events

The Flag Court is part of the landscaping east of the Edmund Stanley Library. Three flags fly above the triangular court – the United States flag, the Kansas flag and the Christian flag, which serves as a symbol of Friends University’s Christian heritage. The low, brick walls also house a number of commemorative plaques related to alumni, former staff members and donors. Dedicated on Sept. 23, 1982, the flag court was a gift from the class of 1983. Campus Ministries hosts an annual See You at the Pole (SYATP) event at the Flag Court in conjunction with SYATP’s global day of student prayer.


PAUL'S POND

Constructed: 2003
Opened for Use: 2004

Paul’s Pond was constructed at the same time as Green Residence Hall. Digging out the water feature provided the dirt needed to raise Green Hall up during construction, and wrapping the building around the pond was part of an ongoing plan to make on-campus living more attractive to students. The feature is named after Physical Plant Director Paul Winchester. At the time of dedication on April 27, 2004 at the Annual Awards Ceremony, Winchester was recognized by former President Biff Green for 30 years of service to Friends University. The pond features a fountain and is continually stocked with fish.


DR. DAVID WEBER'S MEADOW

Constructed: 2011
Opened for Use: 2011

Current Use: Special Events

The grassy area to the east of the Casado Campus Center was developed in the summer of 2011 to help unify the park-like campus landscape. It is named in honor of Dr. David Weber, who had been a member of the music faculty since 1973 before passing away in early 2012. The area was dedicated at the Annual Awards Ceremony held Tuesday, April 24, 2012. The swinging benches placed in the area were a gift from the class of 2010, and the picnic table was a gift from the class of 2011.