The Master of Science in Cyber Security (MSCS) is designed to prepare leaders like you to be on the front line of defense against hackers determined to do harm. MSCS graduates will display outstanding achievement as highly-skilled, hands-on practitioners of the cutting-edge knowledge needed to serve others in defending the critical information infrastructure of our nation’s businesses, government and military.
Employers will value the skills you learn including working with others, leveraging independent personal experiences and applying teamwork in the real world for preparedness, prevention and protection against cyber vulnerabilities and cyber threats. As technology leaders, graduates will minimize risk and maximize security in systems, networks, mobile technology, and cloud computing. These actions reflect competence in security practices and policies and are built around a creative, responsible and ethical approach to cyber security.
Friends Cyber Security program integrates traditional on-campus course delivery with videoconferencing technology to provide a more immersive learning environment through a method called Synchronous E-Learning (SEL). You will be required to attend a regularly scheduled class time where professors conduct traditional instruction, with students in the classroom, while also live-streaming content to students unable to participate in person. This delivery method enables (and requires) interactive participation by all students in a course. Additionally, SEL provides you an opportunity to selectively review lectures and discussions long after class has ended in order to more completely absorb information presented by the professor.
Cyber Security Laboratory
Friends new Cyber Security Lab opened in the fall of 2017. This lab will be used for scenario-based cyber security education with real-time execution of network attack and network defense of simulated state-of-the-industry environments. The learning space is highly configurable, replicating the needs of small businesses to campus-wide networks. The lab will utilize the most comprehensive cyber defense training platform available, developed by Metova. No collection of products better equips cyber security professionals to identify, isolate, remove and recover from a cyber security breach.
- Demonstrate outstanding achievement as highly-skilled, hands-on practitioners of the cutting-edge knowledge needed to serve others in defending the critical information infrastructure of our nation’s businesses, government and military.
- Demonstrate proven competence in working with others, connecting unique individual strengths, leveraging independent personal experiences, and applying teamwork in the real-world for preparedness, prevention, and protection against cyber vulnerabilities and cyber threats.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the state-of-the-art core curriculum standards specified by the National Security Agency (NSA) as required to align with the Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE/CD) designation, as defined by the NSA in joint collaboration with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Review the KMUW story on Friends University’s Cyber Security lab:
Friends University Lab Prepares Cybersecurity Students For Ever-Evolving Threat Landscape
It is recommended students in the Cyber Security Program have a personal computer with the following minimum capabilities (Higher capability is recommended):
- A quad-core processor operating at ~2 GHz (Intel core i5 or better)
- 64 bit OS compatible with/capable of hosting VMware Workstation Player
- 8 Gb of RAM
- 500 Gb of HDD or SDD disk space
- USB 3.x capable
View the courses required for a Master’s degree in Master of Science in Cyber Security.View Course Catalog
A degree in Master of Science in Cyber Security can be used in more ways than you may think. Take a look at some of the potential careers that can result from this area of study.Learn More
Graduate Student Career Development Plan
The path to your future career starts long before graduation. Learn what steps you need to take along the way to put you a step ahead.Read More
We’re here to help. Get in touch with our Career Services team to prepare and plan for your future profession.Get in Touch
Distinctive Features of Friends’ Cyber Security program
- The only CCCU institution offering a master’s degree in Cyber Security
- The only Kansas private institution offering a master’s degree in Cyber Security
- Direct engagement with businesses and organizations through conferences, guest lectures, research and hands-on opportunities