Mission Statement: The MSFT Program embodies core Quaker values while engaging students on an educational journey of personal and professional transformation to affect change in the lives of those they will serve.
Friends University offers a unique opportunity to study the profession of marriage and family therapy in Wichita or Kansas City. With locations in the two largest metropolitan areas in the state of Kansas, we’re able to offer plenty of exciting internship opportunities as part of this degree program. In addition, both of these locations offer great shopping, dining, cultural opportunities and more!
Marriage and family therapy is an ideal profession for those who value helping others discover positive change in the midst of personal and relationship struggles. A family therapy degree at Friends University prepares you with the theoretical, clinical, multicultural and interpersonal competencies for eventual licensure and practice as a Marriage and Family Therapy mental health professional.
MSFT Program trains students in the context of a relational and systemic perspective and strives to produce ethically sound clinicians who are competent in multicultural, theoretical, clinical, and interpersonal domains.
Psychotherapy with individuals, couples and families all require specialized knowledge and training as well as personal inspiration. Our COAMFTE (Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education) accredited program offers extensive training and experience providing care to others in personal distress. Each year advanced students in the program collectively provide more than 10,000 hours of relational services to individuals, couples and families. In this, we believe we have created a unique graduate training experience that offers you these practices and more.
View the Student Achievement Criteria Data
The Master of Science in Family Therapy Program at Friends University is pleased to provide a public portfolio of program information in compliance with the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education. This information includes but is not limited to the MSFT program mission statement, program goals, student learning outcomes, faculty information, demographic data, student achievement data, and policies and procedures supporting the Marriage and Family Therapy program at Friends University. To access the information, please select the following link to the MSFT LiveText Portfolio Management System (www.livetext.com), select the “visitor pass,” and enter the following code: 340BA284
The marriage and family therapy graduate degree at Friends University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), 112 S. Alfred St., Alexandria, VA 22314 (703-838-9808), email@example.com.
The MSFT program at Friends is student-focused, it is professionally relevant, it is well-respected and it is a family.
Erin Cavanaugh, Family Therapy Graduate 2011
- Demonstrate awareness and regulation of self emotion.
- Demonstrate awareness and regulation of self in interaction.
- Demonstrate constructive response to difference.
- Demonstrate the ability to promote therapeutic alliance.
- Demonstrate the ability to use therapeutic influence constructively.
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant conceptual knowledge.
- Demonstrate application of relevant conceptual knowledge.
- Demonstrate integration of multiple concept frameworks organized by systematic/relational orientation.
- Initiate and assess treatment need.
- Plan and facilitate research/theory informed intervention.
- Evaluate progress and conclude treatment.
- Utilize supervision and professional collaboration.
- Follow legal, ethical and professional standards.
- Family preservation/foster care agencies
- Private practice
- Medical facilities (i.e., hospitals)
- Juvenile/adult detention facilities
- Community mental health
- Domestic violence facilities
- Community service agencies
- Bereavement agencies
- Elder facilities