2017 Commencement will be at 2 p.m. on May 13, 2017 at Intrust Bank Arena. More specific details will be provided later.
Live Stream and Tweeting
For those who are not able to attend the commencement ceremony in Wichita but would still like to watch a loved one receive his or her diploma, the University will be streaming the event live on its website.
Visit friends.edu/commencement-live to see the live stream.
In addition, friends and family can tweet messages of congratulations to their graduates that will be shown on the large screen. Live tweeting will occur 30 minutes before the ceremony and while graduates are crossing the stage. To participate, sign into Twitter and use this hashtag: #FriendsUGrads. Only users with public accounts will be able to have their tweet shown on the screen.
- Graduates check-in starts at noon. Graduates should enter at Entrance B on the southeast side of the arena. You will need to stay in line once you check in.
- Doors open to guests at noon. Guests may use Entrance A or B on the south side of the arena. There will be no access from Entrance C on the north side of the arena.
- INTRUST Bank Arena Requirement: All patrons are subject to search. To make the process of the security searches fast and smooth, please have all items removed from your pockets, and open all jackets and purses. If you have questions, please contact the facility at 316-440-9000.
Commencement Ceremony Details
- The ceremony will last approximately 2.5 hours.
- Graduates will remain seated with their classmates for the duration of the ceremony.
- There is no rehearsal or practice.
- Entrance tickets are not required for guests.
- Your prompt arrival for check-in and line-up is appreciated.
- Diplomas are not distributed at Commencement. Diplomas will be ordered and mailed to students when all academic requirements are met, financial obligations are paid, the General Education Assessment Test has been completed (undergraduate students only), and degrees have been verified. All degree requirements must be successfully completed in order to receive a diploma.
- Minimum standards for undergraduate honors recognition include an overall GPA and Friends University GPA of 3.60. Honors candidates will receive red cords at the Commencement ceremonies.
Pre-ceremony Campus Celebration
Saturday, May 13, 2017 | 10:30 a.m. to noon
Casado Campus Center, Wichita Campus
- Graduates and their guests are invited to enjoy a light continental breakfast of pastries, fruit, juice and coffee.
- Faculty, staff and undergraduate classmates are also invited to celebrate with the graduates.
- Trolleys will run every 15 minutes transporting you to the Commencement ceremony at INTRUST Bank Arena.
- RSVP online by Monday, May 8, 2017.
Regalia (cap, gown, tassel and hood) is available for purchase from the University Bookstore. Bring your cap, gown, tassel and hood to the ceremony. Gowns should be pressed. Hoods are for graduate students only.
- Wichita students: Pick up regalia at the University Bookstore.
- Online and outreach students: Contact the University Bookstore to order regalia.
- Topeka and Kansas City students: Contact your center’s office for ordering information.
- Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Bookstore contact phone number: 316-295-5869
Wichita Hotel Accommodations
The following hotels offer discounted rates to Friends University students and families. Mention the University’s graduation weekend when calling to book your room.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wichita Airport, 2098 Airport Rd., 316-945-1971
- Drury Inn, 400 W. Douglas Ave., 316-262-5000
GradImages is Friends University’s official commencement photographer. Friends University provides GradImages with your email and mailing addresses. You can also register your contact information (and the contact information of up to six friends and family members). Proofs will be sent to your home and email address within five days of graduation. Pictures can be ordered online, by phone or by mail. GradImages can be contacted at 800-261-2576 or www.gradimages.com.
A professionally produced DVD of the Wichita ceremony is available from Kent Audio Visual for $15. Please contact Kent Audio Visual for more information at 316-262-4487, and reference your Friends University graduation ceremony.