The health and physical education (non-licensure) program at Friends University is a non-teaching degree.
The coursework is designed to prepare students to enter the field of fitness programming in the business world. Entry level positions for graduates in Health, Physical Education and Recreation include but are not limited to health/wellness/fitness institutions such as the YMCA, Genesis Health Clubs, City Park & Recreation departments, as well as personal trainer programs, and intramural and competitive sports officiating.
- Possess scientific knowledge in the areas of kinesiology, biomechanics, exercise physiology and laboratory data collection. To be considered proficient, the student must score 70 percent or higher on the Summative Kinesiology, Biomechanics & Exerciser Physiology Knowledge Assessment.
- Develop a plan and then teach a team sport. To be considered proficient, the student must score 70 percent or higher on the Unit Presentation Rubric.
- Possess the knowledge and skills that will enable you to successfully complete an off-campus internship. To be considered successfully completed, the student must score 70 percent or higher on the Health and Physical Education Agency Supervisor’s Final Evaluation form.
Potential Areas of Employment
- Personal trainer
- Health and fitness club management
- Recreational facility management
- Recreational coaching