The sociology degree program at Friends University is a practice-oriented degree designed to prepare students to work in the helping professions or prepare for graduate school. The sociology courses are combined with psychology and human service courses to give students a broader base of study and application.
In addition to classroom study, students spend two semesters in field experiences to help you prepare for the workplace and begin networking with other professionals. This also serves as an experience base for graduate school.
A sociology degree offers three areas of emphasis; these areas allow flexibility so students may focus on a special area of interest within the sociology degree.
- Prepares students for general careers working with people and for graduate training
- Teaches students to work with families, family intervention and counseling for all age groups
- Prepares students to work for social service agencies
- Gain factual knowledge (e.g., terminology, classifications, methods, trends, etc.) in the field of sociology.
- Learn principles and theories used in the field of sociology.
- Learn to apply knowledge from the field of sociology to improve thinking, problem solving and decisions.
- Demonstrate exceptional level of skill and knowledge.
View the courses required for a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology.View Course Catalog
Wondering where to start? This recommended schedule will help keep you on track, from your first semester to graduation.Get Started
A degree in Sociology can be used in more ways than you may think. Take a look at some of the potential careers that can result from this area of study.Learn More
4-Year Career Plan
The path to your future career starts long before graduation. Learn what steps you need to take along the way to put you a step ahead.Read More
We’re here to help. Get in touch with our Career Services team to prepare and plan for your future profession.Get in Touch
Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program
As a sociology major, you now have the option of applying for Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program. This program enables you to earn your bachelor’s degree and your MBA in just five years! Start by taking 12 credit hours toward your MBA degree during your senior year while completing your bachelor’s degree. These 12 hours will also be included as elective courses towards your bachelor’s degree. It’s sort of like taking one course and counting it twice! Then apply for our MBA program through a graduate school application. Upon acceptance by the MBA program director, you would be able to complete the remaining 18 credit hours of the MBA degree in year five.
If you’re interested in learning more about Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program, please contact Preston Todd, Assistant Dean of the College of Business, Arts, Sciences and Education at email@example.com or 316-295-5623.
- Associate Professor of Family Life
- B.S., Abilene Christian University; M.A., California State Polytechnic