The Teaching Opportunity Program (TOP) provides opportunities for individuals with demonstrated financial need to pursue a career in K-12 education by providing funding, mentoring, and career guidance to incoming undergraduate students who enter one of the teacher education programs at Friends University. The program is an extension of the University’s mission of “preparing students to honor God and serve others” and exemplifies the University’s RISE values: Respect, Inclusion, Service, and Excellence.
Start your future at Friends University.
TOP will provide a full tuition scholarship to students who meet the following criteria:
- Minimum high school GPA of 2.75
- Completion of Friends University Placement Tests proctored by the Academic Resource Center (ARC). Those who do not meet the expectations would take (remedial) or college prep classes in Math and Writing.
- Interview with the Division of Education faculty
- Must demonstrate financial need
- Commitment to teaching in a school system with demonstrated need for at least two years following graduation
- Qualified students from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Application and FAFSA both must be received by January 1, 2023.
The following students are eligible for the program:
- Graduating high school students
- Transfer students from community and four-year colleges
- Professionals seeking a career change to the teaching field via enrollment in the Friends University Adult Elementary Education Program (ELEM).
- Full tuition scholarship (Students are responsible for other costs such as room and board, required fees, etc.)
- One-on-one academic coaching with an assigned faculty or staff advisor
- Peer mentoring
- Community partnerships with local school districts
- Praxis examination resources to enable participants to successfully pass the teaching licensure examination
- Job placement support and career advising