Residence Life

Residence Life

Living on Campus

The data is in: students who live on campus have a 74 percent higher chance of graduating than those who live off campus. If that were a lottery odd, we’d be playing. And, a recent study by ranks our residence halls number one in the state of Kansas as ranked by student satisfaction.

But enough about statistics, living on campus is also a lot of fun!

First of all, you don’t have to go far to eat in the Casado Dining Hall, catching a concert in the Riney Fine Arts Center is just across the courtyard, and last-minute research for that assignment is a mere steps away at the Edmund Stanley Library.

And each of Friends University’s on-campus facilities offers students an immediate community, complete with monthly programs and a knowledgeable resident assistant who can answer questions and help you locate resources. We’ve even set goals for our Resident Assistants’ programming activities. They include the following:

  1. Educate residents and staff
  2. Supplement classroom learning
  3. Facilitate intentional interactions between residents and faculty, staff and members of the community
  4. Foster citizenship and community development among residents, residence halls, the campus community, the city of Wichita, and beyond.

Cool stuff – right?

Housing Options

Green Residence Hall
Falcon Flats
Friends Village
J.R. and Gertrude Smith Apartments
Falcon Glenn

Apply for On-Campus Housing

A completed housing application and the $200.00 housing deposit must be received as soon as possible to increase your chances of receiving on-campus housing. The housing deposit is not refundable after June 1st.

For those meeting certain requirements, you may also request exemption from living on campus your first year. Please visit the First-Year Campus Residency Requirements and Exemption Form for more details.

Residence Hall Closing Dates

Green Residence Hall & Freshman Housing closings – Students must sign up in advance and pay $20 per night to stay for break housing. Otherwise, keycards to suites and the building are deactivated. Green Residence Hall and all freshman housing will close for the following breaks: Thanksgiving Break, Semester Break, and Spring Break. All residents living on campus must vacate their residence by 5 p.m. the last day of finals for summer break.

Upper Class Residential Housing closings – Upper Class residential facilities shut down during breaks; however, students may sign up with Residence Life to stay during breaks. Upper-class students living in Falcon Flats, Falcon Glenn, Friends Village, Smith Apartments or a university house may stay in their facility during Thanksgiving Break, Semester Break and Spring Break by signing up. Students in these facilities may also stay over Christmas and summer breaks if returning to Friends the following semester (extra charges apply for summer housing). If a student is moving off campus at the end of the fall semester, they must vacate their residence by 5 p.m. the last day of finals. If a student is moving off campus at the end of the spring semester, they must vacate their residence by 5 p.m. the last day of finals for summer break.

Dining on Campus

Dining is an important part of the living and learning experience at Friends University. When you purchase a meal plan, you get so much more than great food. The Casado Campus Center is the hub for your campus dining options.

  • Convenience: Great food is just a short walk away from anyplace on campus!
  • Time: Shopping for food, cooking, cleaning up … all take up your valuable time. College life is hectic enough. Let us do this work for you so you can spend your time doing much more important things.
  • Fun: We’ve scheduled a number of special events and promotions throughout the year to provide a festive dining experience.
  • People: Where better to get together with friends and share wonderful fellowship than at either of our dining locations!
  • Value: Whether it’s the ability to get a second helping without paying anything extra at the Dining Hall or a great, fast meal or snack at Starbucks, Created with Love or the Community Market, all offer a world of value.
  • Great Food: Of course, the most important feature we offer is great food and flavors.

Dining at Friends University.

Add Freddy Bucks to your account.

Campus Living Resources

Any questions regarding living on campus at Friends University may be directed to, or give us a call at 316-295-5500.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to live on campus?
All first year traditional students beginning fall 2016 and enrolling with fewer than 28 credit hours will be required to live on campus during their first two semesters.  National statistics indicate that students who reside on campus perform better academically and persist at a higher rate than students who live off campus.  A survey of Friends University residential students also indicate a high level of satisfaction and engagement in the campus community and experience an increase in campus involvement.

Can I live in any of the on-campus facilities?
Freshmen and students with fewer than 29 credit hours earned are welcome to live in Green Residence Hall. Student with more than 29 credit hours are eligible to live in any residential facility.

Do you allow pets?
Pets are not allowed in the residential facilities or in any other buildings on campus.

Do you have any rules I have to abide by when I live on campus?
Residents must abide by federal, state, city and University policies. Unacceptable behavior in Friends University facilities or at any University-sponsored activities includes:

  • The possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances
  • Use of tobacco in any form
  • The possession of indecent literature
  • The use of profane or vulgar language
  • The possession of firearms

What is the visitation policy?
On-Campus housing visitation policy states that individuals are allowed in apartments/suites of an opposite gender from 8 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Thursday. Visitation on Friday and Saturday lasts until 1 a.m. in apartments & suites. Members of the opposite sex are not allowed in suites past visitation hours. Lobbies will remain open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. These areas are for visiting and studying, not sleeping. Cohabitation (living together) between unmarried individuals/couples is not allowed. Please visit the Student Handbook regarding questions about overnight guests staying on-campus.

Can I request to live with someone?
Yes. Roommate requests can be made on your housing application. Both individuals wishing to live together must name the other person as a requested roommate. The Office of Community and Residential Development does its best to accommodate all roommate requests, but no promises can be made.

Is furniture provided?
Furniture is only provided in Green Residence Hall (and select furniture in Falcon Glenn and Smith Apartments). Green Hall suite furniture includes:

  • 6 beds with mattresses
  • 6 dressers
  • 6 bookcases
  • 6 desks
  • 1 three-seat sofa
  • 2 living room chairs
  • 1 end table
  • 1 kitchen table
  • 4 kitchen chairs
  • 1 microwave oven
  • 1 refrigerator

Falcon Glenn furniture includes:

  • 2 beds with mattresses
  • 2 dressers
  • 2 desks
  • 2 desk chairs
  • 1 lounge chair
  • 1 three-seat sofa
  • 1 end table
  • 1 refrigerator
  • 1 microwave oven
  • 1 stove/oven

Smith Apartments furniture includes:

  • 1 bed per bedroom
  • 1 dresser per bedroom
  • 1 desk per bedroom
  • 1 desk chair per bedroom
  • 1 refrigerator
  • 1 microwave oven
  • 1 stove/oven

What size sheets do I need to buy?
The beds in Green Hall, Falcon Glenn and Smith Apartments are twin-sized, extra-long (80-inch) beds.

Do I have to have a meal plan?
Yes. All first year residents in Green Hall are required to purchase a full meal plan. All other residents living on campus are required to purchase a smaller meal plan. Click here for more information on meal plans.

Can I move out if I don’t like where I am living?
Residents living on campus are locked into their contract for the full nine months of that contract. Those wishing to break their contracts early must see the Director of Residence Life and go through the appeals process.

What if I do not like my roommate?

The Residence Life staff understands it can be difficult to live with a new person and will be available to assist residents with concerns. The staff will work with residents on a case-by-case basis to mediate situations that may arise. Only after participation in the mediation process will a room change be considered.

How can I protect my personal property?
Students can purchase College Student Property Insurance, through companies such as National Student Services, Inc., to protect their personal property from theft, fire, flood, vandalism, natural disasters and accidental damage.