Your guide to being an international student at Friends University!

Information for International Students

For those international students coming to Friends University, you can find pre-arrival information below that will help you with what to do prior to arriving here at Friends.

Start your future at Friends.

Apply for a Student Visa

Pre-Arrival Information

SEVIS I-901: The fee for SEVIS I-901, a government document, must be paid online with a credit card (recommended) BEFORE applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate and/or before entering the United States. A paper form of I-901 can also be submitted by mail.

For more detailed information, visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program at

F-1: For information about student visa (F-1) application, visit the U.S. Department of State website at

Transferring from another U.S. school

After receiving the admission letter from Friends University, international students transferring from another U.S. school must submit the completed and signed Transfer In Request Form. This form verifies the student has the immigration status necessary to transfer.

Traveling Between Schools

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their Friends University I-20 and not the previous school’s document. F-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US.

Reporting 15 days before the program start date

Initial F-1 visa international students and transfer students must report to the International Student Adviser within 15 days of the program start date.

Designated Student Officials

What is a DSO? Designated School Officials serve as support persons for international students who desire to- or are currently studying in the United States. DSOs answer questions, guide international students through the process of to help international student maintain their status. DSOs update student records, help maintain your student status by providing advice, or helping your fill out important forms. While benefits like employment or driving are available to you in the United States, you need authorization from your DSO before enjoying them. Current Friends University DSOs are:

Eric Sanford

Eric Sanford,
University Registrar

Christopher Acton,
Traditional Undergraduate Admissions Counselor – College of Business, Arts, Sciences and Education

Anita Downey,
Admissions Processing Coordinator

For more information on studying in the states please visit

Are you interested in joining International Students Club? If so, contact Amanda Claxton at