Never underestimate yourself. You’ve invested years of experience, hard work, and perseverance in your career. Friends University values those experiences and the knowledge you’ve gained outside the classroom with professional training, volunteering, or life experience. Through our Credit for Prior Learning process, you can earn up to 30 hours of college credit toward your degree, saving precious time and money on your educational journey.
To learn more about how far your experience can take you down your path toward a degree, read the information below, or contact Daryle Christensen at 316-295-5241 or email@example.com.
Credit for Prior Learning Options
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) is the process of earning college credit for college-level learning acquired outside of the traditional college classroom, such as work, professional training, volunteering, and other life experiences.
The CPL program at Friends University is based on the standards established by the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL).
CPL Credit Options
- Non-Collegiate: College credit is recognized for certain types of non-collegiate training programs (i.e. Center for Financial Training) and U.S. Military service where college credit recommendations have been established by the American Council on Education (ACE) and/or the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS).
- Science Lab Credit: First Aid and/or CPR certifications have been pre-approved by our CAPS faculty to satisfy the Natural Science Lab requirement. First Aid and CPR certifications are awarded at one (1) credit hour each. Multiple CPR credits will not be awarded; the maximum credit for CPR is one hour regardless of the CPR category. Examples of classes in the CPR category are Child CPR, Adult CPR, and CPR/AED. Valid documentation (card or certificate) must be submitted to the PLA office, located in the Academic Resource Center.
CPL Policies and Procedures
- The learning experience demonstrated must have the academic equivalence of college-level learning.
- Developmental/remedial courses and/or courses numbered below 100 are not comparable to college-level learning and may not be used as course equivalencies in the prior learning portfolio.
- Students seeking credit for military or other ACE or NCCRS evaluated programs are required to submit transcripts and requests for PLA credit to the PLA office for evaluation. The amount of credit recognized will vary in accordance with faculty review, the recommendations of the appropriate guide (ACE or NCCRS), and the educational policies of the University.
- Students seeking credit for First Aid or CPR credit are required to submit a front/back copy of their card or a copy of their certification and request for PLA credit to the Learning Assessment office.
- There is a maximum of 30 hours allowed for CPL credit.
- CPL credit cannot be used to meet residency requirements and is usually not transferable.
- Courses being petitioned through CPL cannot duplicate coursework recorded on a student’s academic record.
- Returning and former students who wish to submit prior learning are required to meet with the Learning Assessment office and establish a plan for requesting credit for prior learning.
- CPL fees are assessed at $50 per credit hour and are non-refundable. Payment is due at the time of submission and is not covered under financial aid.
Points of Information
- CPL fees can be paid online. Select Prior Learning Credit, check the appropriate box, enter a description or title, and complete the student information section. Once payment is received, your CPL request will be processed. Cash or check payments must be paid directly to the Friends University cashier. A payment form must be completed before cash or check payments can be made. To receive a copy of the payment form, contact the CPL office at 316-295-5241 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Course descriptions can be found in the catalog.
Contact: Daryle Christensen
Operations Coordinator, Academic Resource Center
Edmund Stanley Library, room 112
2100 W. University Ave., Wichita, KS 67213
316-295-5241 or 1-800-794-6945 ext. 5241