The perfect place to start.
Your passion for music has a future at Friends University. Through your participation in our band program, you’ll continue to create outstanding music while developing life-long friendships.
Schedule an audition.
Your passion for music.
Participation in the Friends University Band Program is open to all students regardless of major.
Scholarships are available to all students regardless of major, and 100% of our traditional students receive some form of financial aid.
Private lessons, student conducting, ensemble section leading, and guest artist masterclasses are just some of what Friends University music students can experience.
Annual band events include the University Band Composer/Conductor-in-Residence program and collaboration concerts.
The Friends University Concert Band is known for performances of outstanding literature at all difficulty levels.
The band is comprised of music majors and students from other majors across campus. The Concert Band has been accepted to perform at the Kansas Music Educators Association In-Service Workshop (the highest honor in Kansas) in 1998, 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2014, and 2016.
Each spring, the band hosts a Conductor/Composer-in-Residence program, performing major works – most usually works by CCIR guest artists. Nationally renowned soloists and faculty artists from Friends University annually appear as soloists with the band.
Take your passion to the next level.
Where the fun begins.
Participation in ensembles provides an opportunity for both the development of solo and group performance skills, and the integration of applied and academic studies. Ensembles provide a supportive community of excellence to foster professional and personal growth and to represent the university.
- Bands, Combos, and Choirs BandYou have the opportunity to contribute to several ensembles including the Concert Bands, Jazz Ensembles, Athletic Bands, and Small Ensembles.
- University BandThe University Band presents multiple concerts each season, including performances featuring internationally renowned guest performers and composers. The band performs at university events, educational conferences, community events, and has also toured internationally. Shawn M. Knopp is the conductor of the University Band.
- Percussion EnsembleThis auditioned ensemble performs a wide variety of styles including traditional, jazz, and exotic. The 3-13-member group performs on campus, in the community, and participates in competitions and educational conferences. Andy Slater is the director of the Percussion Ensemble.
- Chamber EnsemblesVarious small instrumental ensembles are formed according to student interest and availability. These ensembles are coached by faculty specialists and also satisfy chamber performance requirements.
- DrumlineThis auditioned ensemble performs at football games. The 12-member ensemble is directed by Andy Slater.
- Assistant Professor Music Education & Band Director
- Fine Arts