Academic Success Coaching is a resource for our adult undergraduate and graduate students that is designed to provide you with the opportunity to build a relationship with your coach for the purpose of planning your educational career, learning the skills needed for academic success, and learning how to access the resources and services that are available to you on campus.
Academic Success Coaching is a collaborative educational process where you and your coach are partners in meeting and ensuring your academic, personal and career goals. This partnership requires proactive participation and frequent involvement by both parties. This partnership is a process that is built over your entire educational career at Friends University. Both parties have clear responsibilities for ensuring that this partnership is successful. However, please understand that your coach will not make decisions for you. Coaches will help you develop realistic educational and career goals based on the most accurate and current information available.
Academic Success Coaches
The Academic Success Coach team at Friends University is here to assist you with not just the completion of your degree program, but to also help build and develop skills you can apply to your personal, professional and academic lives. The standards and values of the coaching staff are derived from the mission of Friends University and align with the core values of academic advising set forth by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Advisers are responsible to the individuals they advise.
- Advisers are responsible for involving others, when appropriate, in the advising process.
- Advisers are responsible to their educational community.
- Advisers are responsible for their professional practices and for themselves personally.
Jen Hussey – Academic Success Coach
Jen Hussey has been with Friends University since 2011, working in the College of Adult and Professional Studies. Jen completed her first bachelor’s degree in 2003 as an adult student and has since completed a second undergraduate degree. Because of these experiences as an adult student, Jen truly identifies with the unique challenges our graduate and professional students face. It is her goal to be available to students throughout their Friends University experience to provide support, encouragement, and assistance.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education K-6
- Bachelor of General Studies
- Non-Degree Seeking and Undecided Students
- Master of Education in Teaching and Learning or Special Education
- Global Master of Business Administration
- Master of Management Information Systems
- Master of Science in Strategic Leadership
Amanda Root – Academic Success Coach
Amanda Root attended the University of Wyoming obtaining Bachelor of Arts majoring in psychology with a minor in criminal justice and Master of Science in Counselor Education specializing in Community Mental Health. Amanda is certified with the National Board of Certified Counselors and is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor in the state of Kansas. After obtaining vast experience in mental health and addictions, Amanda decided to redirect her skills and talents towards higher education by joining the Academic Success Coaching Team here at Friends University. Amanda is excited to use her skill set to support adult and graduate students academic objectives while pursuing their professional goals.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- 4+1 Master’s Degree Programs
- Masters of Business Administration
- Masters of Health Care Leadership
Camille Stockemer – Academic Success Coach
Camille Stockemer joined Friends University in 2021. Camille attended Kansas State University, where she earned her B.S. in Family Studies and Human Services. She then went on to complete her master’s degree through Fort Hays State University in Higher Education Student Affairs. Camille has nearly four years of academic advising experience and especially strives to build strong working relationships with her students. She aims to positively impact every student she works with by serving as a guide throughout their educational experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Human Services – Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity
Melissa Cummings – Topeka Academic Success Coach
Melissa Cummings has been with Friends University since January 2002 and has worked in Higher Education for over 20 years. Melissa graduated from Washburn University with a Bachelor in Social Work and from Friends University with a Master of Science in Management. Working primarily with online and outreach students, she is a true advocate for adult students and understands the challenges they face when completing degrees outside of the traditional classroom environment.
For Melissa’s full list of programs, visit the Topeka page.
Academic Success Coach Responsibilities
- Protect and secure the integrity of a Friends University degree by enforcing all university and departmental policies and requirements.
- Treat you with respect and with the understanding that you are a professional, working adult with all the responsibilities and commitments that come with that title.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, requirements and academic policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide you to define and develop clear and realistic educational plans.
- Provide you with information about campus resources and services.
- Encourage and guide you in gaining the skills necessary for academic, personal and professional growth.
- Assist you in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its effects on life and personal goals.
- Monitor and accurately document progress toward meeting educational goals.
- Be accessible for meetings during office hours, by appointment, telephone or email.
- Assist you in gaining decision-making skills and in assuming responsibility for educational plans and decisions.
- Maintain confidentiality (will not discuss issues with parents or non-university persons without written permission).
- Assist you in working with and developing relationships with faculty.
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with your assigned success coach each semester.
- Come prepared to each appointment or walk-in with questions or materials for discussion.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the coaching experience.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward YOUR academic goals.
- Organize documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed.
- Be proactive in checking often the electronic resources via Self-Service Banner and Moodle to keep track of your academic progress.
- Become knowledgeable about degree programs and requirements, policies and procedures.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your faculty.
- Gather all relevant information before making decisions that affect your educational goals.
- Clarify personal values and goals with your success coach with accurate and truthful information regarding your interests and abilities.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions concerning your degree and career goals
- Develop an educational plan for successfully achieving your goals and select courses each semester to progress toward fulfilling your goals.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Friends University’s central values as expressed in its Mission Statement, its general education requirements and your chosen course of study.
- Utilize the resources and services on campus to assist you in achieving your academic, personal and career goals.
- Make use of referrals to campus resources as needed.
- Accurately read and effectively utilize a degree audit.
- Graduate in a timely manner based on your educational plans.