Academic Success Coaching is designed to provide you with the opportunity to build a relationship with your coach for the purpose of planning your educational career, in learning the skills needed for academic success, and in learning how to access the resources and services that are available to you on campus.
Academic Success Coaching is a collaborative educational process where you and your coach are partners in meeting and ensuring your academic, personal and career goals. This partnership requires proactive participation and frequent involvement by both parties. This partnership is a process that is built over your entire educational career at Friends University. Both parties have clear responsibilities for ensuring that this partnership is successful. However, please understand that your coach will not make decisions for you. Coaches will help you develop realistic educational and career goals based on the most accurate and current information available.
Academic Success Coaches
The Academic Success Coach team at Friends University is here to assist you with not just the completion of your degree program, but to also help build and develop skills you can apply to your personal, professional and academic lives. The standards and values of the coaching staff are derived from the mission of Friends University and align with the core values of academic advising set forth by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
- Advisers are responsible to the individuals they advise.
- Advisers are responsible for involving others, when appropriate, in the advising process.
- Advisers are responsible to their educational community.
- Advisers are responsible for their professional practices and for themselves personally.
Director of Academic Success Coaching/Academic Success Coach
Dr. Waterhouse has been advising and coaching adult professional and graduate students toward academic, professional, and personal success and growth since 2004. Dr. Waterhouse earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration/Accounting, Masters of Business Administration, and a Doctorate in Management and Organizational Leadership. Dr. Waterhouse serves as an adjunct instructor for the College of Adult and Professional Studies for leadership and business coursework.
- Bachelor of Business Administration – Business Management
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
- Master of Arts in Christian Spiritual Formation
- Master of Business Administration concentration in Management Information Systems
- Master of Management Information Systems
- Master of Science Information Security
- Master of Science Cyber Security
Jen Hussey – Academic Success Coach
Jen Hussey has been with Friends University since 2011, working in the College of Adult and Professional Studies. Jen completed her first Bachelor’s degree in 2003 as an adult student and is recently graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Organizational Leadership and Transformational Change. Because of these experiences as an adult student, Jen truly identifies with the unique challenges or Graduate and Professional Students face. It is her goal to be available to students throughout their Friends University experience to provide support, encouragement, and assistance.
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership and Transformational Change
- Bachelor of Business Administration Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education K-6
- Bachelor of Science in Human Services – Psychology
- Master of Education in Teaching and Learning or Special Education
- Global Master of Business Administration
Augusto Ortiz de Villate – Academic Success Coach
Augusto has been advising and coaching student since 2008. He enjoys the opportunity to meet with new people and help them reach their academic and professional goals. Augusto holds a Bachelors of Science in Business and is in the process of completing a Master of Arts in Teaching. Augusto’s vision for his students at Friends is that they are happy and content and that through their experience here they will be able to achieve their personal, professional, and academic goals.
- Bachelor of Business Administration Human Resources
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Healthcare Leadership
Academic Success Coach Responsibilities
- Protect and secure the integrity of a Friends University degree by enforcing all university and departmental policies and requirements.
Treat you with respect and with the understanding that you are a professional, working adult with all the responsibilities and commitments that come with that title.
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, requirements, and academic policies and procedures.
- Encourage and guide you to define and develop clear and realistic educational plans
- Provide you with information about campus resources and services.
- Encourage and guide you in gaining the skills necessary for academic, personal, and professional growth.
- Assist you in understanding the purpose and goals of higher education and its effects on life and personal goals
- Monitor and accurately document progress toward meeting educational goals
- Be accessible for meetings during office hours, by appointment, telephone, or email.
- Assist you in gaining decision-making skills and in assuming responsibility for educational plans and decisions.
- Maintain confidentiality (will not discuss issues with parents or non-university persons without written permission).
- Assist you in working with, and developing relationships with faculty.
- Schedule regular appointments or make regular contacts with your assigned Success Coach each semester.
- Come prepared to each appointment or walk-in with questions or materials for discussion.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in the coaching experience.
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward YOUR academic goals.
- Organize documents in a way that enables you to access them when needed.
- Be proactive in checking often the electronic resources via Self Service Banner and Moodle to keep track of your academic progress.
- Become knowledgeable about degree programs and requirements, policies, and procedures.
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your faculty.
- Gather all relevant information before making decisions that affect your educational goals.
- Clarify personal values and goals with your success coach with accurate and truthful information regarding your interests and abilities.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions concerning your degree and career goals
- Develop an educational plan for successfully achieving your goals and select courses each semester to progress toward fulfilling your goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of Friends University central values as expressed in its Mission Statement, its general education requirements, and your chosen course of study.
- Utilize the resources and services on campus to assist you in achieving your academic, personal, and career goals.
- Make use of referrals to campus resources as needed.
- Accurately read and effectively utilize a degree audit.
- Graduate in a timely manner based on your educational plans.