The psychology program in the College of Adult and Professional Studies is a practice-oriented degree designed to prepare adults to work in the helping professions or to go on to graduate school. Classes are offered in the evenings and online so adult students can maintain their work, family and other responsibilities.
Psychology courses are combined with sociology and human service courses to give the adult student a broader base of study and application. In addition to their online and classroom study, students spend two semesters in field experiences to better prepare them for the workplace and to help them begin networking with other professionals in the helping field. This also serves as an experience base for graduate school.
The psychology major offers three areas of emphasis within the degree – Pre-Graduate Studies, Pre-Professional Studies and Industrial Psychology. These areas allow flexibility so students may focus on a special area of interest.
- Prepares students for general careers working with people and for graduate training.
- Teaches students to work with families, family intervention and counseling for all age groups.
- Prepares students to work for social service agencies.
- Understand the major theoretical approaches, research findings, and historical trends in the science of psychology.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the use of major research methods in psychology, including design, data analysis, and interpretation.
- Apply the major theoretical approaches in psychology to reality-based personal, social, motivational, emotional, educational, and organizational issues.
View the courses required for a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology.View Course Catalog
A degree in Psychology can be used in more ways than you may think. Take a look at some of the potential careers that can result from this area of study.Learn More
Adult Undergraduate Career Development Plan
The path to your future career starts long before graduation. Learn what steps you need to take along the way to put you a step ahead.Read More
We’re here to help. Get in touch with our Career Services team to prepare and plan for your future profession.Get in Touch