The Bachelor’s Degree in Cyber Security (BSCS) is offered in the evenings, on-campus and is designed to prepare you to pursue a career in cyber security by developing a comprehensive understanding of the cyberspace environment. You will be immersed in learning that challenges you through practical application of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills. In the end, you will be prepared to enter a career working alongside information technology and security professionals, as life-long learners, pursuing excellence in an ever-changing technology landscape.
As a student of our Bachelor’s in Cyber Security, you will learn how the cyberspace environment functions at each layer of operations; from the physical equipment that is used to control data, at rest and in motion, to modern operating systems use and manipulation. You will be exposed to virtualization technologies, network architectures and networking, information security and cryptography as well as the laws, policy and regulations that govern cyberspace. You will be challenged to understand how malicious actors in cyberspace take advantage of people, systems, applications and various technologies in order to stop them in their tracks.
Graduates of the Cyber Security program can expect to be extremely competitive in the job market as demand for cyber professionals is at an all-time high and is expected to continue to grow at a rate of approximately 18% or more through 2024 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor). According to (ISC) 2015 Global Information Security Workforce Study, there will be a predicted global shortfall of 1.5 million cyber security professionals worldwide by 2020.
Additional information about job opportunities and career paths for Cyber Security professionals can be found at http://cyberseek.org/pathway.html.
Distinctive Features of Friends’ Cyber Security program
- The only Kansas private institution offering a Bachelor of Science degree in Cyber Security
- Students may complete up to 18 concurrent hours in the Master of Science in Cyber Security program while working on their undergraduate degree
- Focus is on practical application experiences rather than focusing solely on theoretical exposure to concepts
- State of the industry cyber security training range and virtual laboratory designed to provide a learning environment that stimulates real-time threats and practical network defense capabilities
Friends University Partnership with Butler County Community College
Students of Butler County Community College have the unique opportunity of completing Butler’s Computer Science pathway program or getting their Associate of Applied Science in Cyber Security and transferring into the cyber security adult undergraduate program at Friends University. These programs are fully articulated and more information can be found in the following PDF’s:
- Butler County Community College Computer Science to Cyber Security (CAPS) Partnership February 2018
- Butler County Community College Cyber Security to Cyber Security (CAPS) Partnership February 2018
Review the KMUW story about this partnership:
Friends, Butler Partnering For Cybersecurity Degree Program
It is recommended students in the Cyber Security Program have a personal computer with the following minimum capabilities (Higher capability is recommended):
- A quad-core processor operating at ~2 GHz (Intel core i5 or better)
- 64 bit OS compatible with/capable of hosting VMware Workstation Player
- 8 Gb of RAM
- 500 Gb of HDD or SDD disk space
- USB 3.x capable
View the courses required for a Bachelor’s degree in Cyber Security.View Course Catalog
A degree in Cyber Security can be used in more ways than you may think. Take a look at some of the potential careers that can result from this area of study.Learn More
Adult Undergraduate Career Development Plan
The path to your future career starts long before graduation. Learn what steps you need to take along the way to put you a step ahead.Read More
We’re here to help. Get in touch with our Career Services team to prepare and plan for your future profession.Get in Touch