Where you belong.
Your interest in choral performance has a future starting at Friends University. You’ll be prepared to pursue professional instruction or performance while establishing a firm intellectual foundation and boundless artistic development.
Start your future in music.
Your passion for music.
With a tradition of choral excellence, taught by experienced and caring instructors, you have a chance to make life-long friends and memories through concerts and tours at all levels (state, regional, national, and international.)
Music scholarships include the special Cecil J. Riney-Eastminster Choral Scholarship. These are awarded on the basis of audition regardless of degree program. Scholarships are available to both degree and non-degree seeking students!
Opportunities are also available to work with renowned conductors and composers. Students in our choral ensembles participate in numerous performances throughout the year including Chapel, Candlelight Christmas Concert, Choral Connections Sing It!, Symphony of Spring, and more!
Brand New Choir Opportunties
New choir opportunities for the 2021-22 year are the Women’s Choir and Falcon Chorus! Learn more below.
Schedule an audition?
Vocal Music Ensembles
Where the fun begins.
Participation in ensembles fulfills degree and scholarship requirements, and provides an opportunity for both the development of solo and group performance skills, and the integration of applied and academic studies. Ensembles provide a supportive community of excellence to foster professional and personal growth and to represent the university.
- Singing QuakersOur legendary SATB (Soprano, Tenor, Alto, Bass) auditioned group of sophomores through seniors is the premiere ensemble of Friends University’s choral program. Founded in 1924, the Singing Quakers is the oldest musical organization at Friends University. This select 60-voice choir performs a broad spectrum of standard choral literature, choral-orchestral works, and musical theatre repertoire. The Singing Quakers tour domestically and internationally. Dr. Rayvon T.J. Moore is the conductor of the Singing Quakers.
- Concert ChoirThe Friends University Concert Choir, long-standing SATB auditioned group of freshmen through seniors, is foundational to the university’s vocal program. This 75-voice choir performs a wide variety of choral literature and focuses on the development of vocal technique, music literacy, and performance skills. It is open to all Friends University students by audition. Concert Choir engages students in a well-rounded choral experience that includes performance opportunities both on and off campus as well as tours and service. Rolaine Hetherington is the conductor of the Concert Choir.
- Women’s Choir (New!)The Women’s Choir is an ensemble that is open without audition to all treble singers on campus. Enjoy singing repertoire for SSA (Soprano, Soprano, Alto) voices while making lasting friendships.
- Falcon Chorus (New!)Falcon Chorus brings together singers from across campus to sing outstanding repertoire for the TTBB (Tenor Tenor, Bass, Bass) ensemble. This ensemble is a great way to get to know others around campus that just want to sing with minimal time commitment.
- Jazz Vocal EnsembleThe Friends University Jazz Vocal Ensemble performs standard vocal jazz literature, both a cappella and accompanied. This select 12-voice ensemble offers intensive training in musicianship, vocal style, and performance skills. The Jazz Vocal Ensemble is part of both the choral and jazz programs at Friends University. It performs on campus, and throughout the state and region. Students in the Jazz Vocal Ensemble are also members of either Concert Choir or Singing Quakers.
- Opera/Musical ProductionsMusic for the stage at Friends University promotes the development of young artists through the performance of level-appropriate works, the practice of stagecraft and deportment, and experience in technical skills, such as costuming and set construction. All Friends students are eligible to audition for productions, which include one annual large production, as well as opera scenes or excerpts from operas or musical theatre. Dr. Matthew Schloneger and Rolaine Hetherington are the musical directors.
- Choral UnionOver 110 singers drawn from the Singing Quakers, Concert Choir, Women’s Choir, Falcon Chorus, and other interested individuals combine to form the Choral Union. This large chorus performs annually at Christmas Candlelight concerts as well as in choral-orchestral concerts with the Friends University Community Orchestra.
- The Singing Quakers Alumni ChoirThe Singing Quakers Alumni Choir represents the musical legacy and faith heritage of Friends University through its performances of varied sacred music repertoire. Its annual concert features well-known guest soloists, conductors, and composers. The choir is comprised of alumni of the Friends University Singing Quakers. Part of the mission of the choir is to provide scholarships to Friends University students. Eric Stone is the artistic director of the Singing Quakers Alumni Choir.
- Assistant Professor of Music/Applied; Voice (directs Concert Choir)
- Fine Arts
- B.A., Hendrix College; M.M.Ed., M.M., Louisiana State University
- Assistant Professor Music, Director: Choral Studies
- Fine Arts
- B.A., University of Southern California M. M. California State University, Fullerton D.M.A. Eastman School of Music
- Associate Professor of Voice
- Fine Arts
- A.A., Hesston College; B.A., Goshen College; M.M., University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music; Ph.D., University of Kansas