Friends University offers a unique opportunity to study the profession of marriage and family therapy in Wichita or Kansas City.
Marriage and family therapy is a great profession for people who value helping others discover positive change in the midst of personal and relationship struggles. A family therapy degree can help prepare you for the specific challenges faced in family counseling. Psychotherapy with individuals, play therapy with children, or therapy with couples and families all require specialized knowledge and training as well as personal inspiration. Learning these skills also requires a supportive community of students, faculty and staff. We believe we have created a unique graduate training experience that offers these qualities and more.
The marriage and family therapy graduate degree at Friends University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE) of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), 112 S. Alfred St., Alexandria, VA 22314 (703-838-9808), firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Demonstrate awareness and regulation of self emotion.
- Demonstrate awareness and regulation of self in interaction.
- Demonstrate constructive response to difference.
- Demonstrate the ability to promote therapeutic alliance.
- Demonstrate the ability to use therapeutic influence constructively.
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant conceptual knowledge.
- Demonstrate application of relevant conceptual knowledge.
- Demonstrate integration of multiple concept frameworks organized by systematic/relational orientation.
- Initiate and assess treatment need.
- Plan and facilitate research/theory informed intervention.
- Evaluate progress and conclude treatment.
- Utilize supervision and professional collaboration.
- Follow legal, ethical and professional standards.
- Family preservation/foster care agencies
- Private practice
- Medical facilities (i.e., hospitals)
- Juvenile/adult detention facilities
- Community mental health
- Domestic violence facilities
- Community service agencies
- Bereavement agencies
- Elder facilities