Earn your degree in sociology & social service
Friends University sociology students seek to understanding how and why people engage in specific behaviors in order to understand and educate about the root causes of social problems.
Start your future in sociology & social service.
Preparing for your future in sociology & social service
The sociology and social service degree program at Friends University is a practice-oriented degree designed to prepare students to work in the helping professions or prepare for graduate school. The sociology courses are combined with psychology and human service courses to give students a broader base of study and application.
In addition to classroom study, students spend two semesters in field experiences to help you prepare for the workplace and begin networking with other professionals. This also serves as an experience base for graduate school.
Get your MBA in just five years with our 4+1 MBA degree program.
Experienced and caring faculty with real-world business expertise
Three Areas of Emphasis
A sociology degree offers three areas of emphasis; these areas allow flexibility so students may focus on a special area of interest within the sociology and social service degree.
- Optional Social Services ConcentrationPrepares students for general careers in social services, counseling and interpersonal relations.
- Optional Diversity Studies ConcentrationTeaches students to work in fields with diversity and social issues such as women’s rights, racial and ethnic relations and social inequality.
- Optional Family Studies ConcentrationPrepares students to work with families and family intervention.
Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program
As a sociology & social service major, you now have the option of applying for Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program. This program enables you to earn your bachelor’s degree and your MBA in just five years! Start by taking 12 credit hours toward your MBA degree during your senior year while completing your bachelor’s degree. These 12 hours will also be included as elective courses towards your bachelor’s degree. It’s sort of like taking one course and counting it twice! Then apply for our MBA program through a graduate school application. Upon acceptance by the MBA program director, you would be able to complete the remaining 18 credit hours of the MBA degree in year five.
If you’re interested in learning more about Friends 4 + 1 MBA degree program, please contact Preston Todd, Assistant Dean of the College of Business, Arts, Sciences and Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-295-5623.
- Gain factual knowledge (e.g., terminology, classifications, methods, trends, etc.) in the field of sociology.
- Learn principles and theories used in the field of sociology.
- Learn to apply knowledge from the field of sociology to improve thinking, problem solving and decisions.
- Demonstrate exceptional level of skill and knowledge.