If you’re a student graduating in 2022 from a high school in the Wichita area with at least a 3.2 GPA, you’re interested in a STEM program and you’re eligible for a federal Pell Grant – you are eligible to apply for the Friends University STEM Promise! The STEM Promise will cover tuition for up to 18 credit hours per semester for four years through a combination of federal, state and institutional aid sources.
Qualifications to receive up to 18 credit hours of free tuition per semester for four years include:
- Graduate from a Wichita area high school in 2022
- Be admitted to a Friends STEM program
- Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Have a 3.2 or above GPA
- Be eligible to receive a PELL grant
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 hours at Friends University each semester
- Submit online scholarship application along with a 500-word essay answering the following questions
- Why are you interested in pursuing a career in a STEM field?
- What do you think you will contribute to the Friends community, a Christian university of Quaker heritage, in terms of your activities and involvement in campus life?
- Interview with faculty within the Natural Science and Mathematics Division.
Application and FAFSA both must be received by January 1, 2022. Selected STEM winners will be announced on March 21.
Complete the Friends University application on our website, complete the FAFSA, answer two essay questions and have your H.S. Counselor, College & Career Coordinator or STEM Teacher complete the reference section of the application.
Friends STEM programs include:
- Biology Education
- Conservation Science
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Cyber Security
- Health Science
- Math Education
- Mechanical Engineering
Details about the Friends STEM program:
- Students will be selected from the applicant pool each year.
- STEM Promise students must live on campus during their first year at Friends University. Room and Board are not covered by the STEM Promise Scholarship. Potential housing grants are available.
- Students not selected for the STEM Promise are eligible to receive many other great scholarship opportunities but this scholarship cannot be added on top of Friends athletic, fine arts or Latino Leaders scholarships. Please contact financial aid for more information.
- Does not include fees and books. These may be covered by additional funding options or an on-campus job. Please contact financial aid for more information.
- If a student receives additional Friends University scholarships, full tuition will still be covered but the amount of the STEM Promise may be reduced.
- Applicants must continue to be Pell-eligible to qualify.
- A financial aid counselor will review your Friends GPA and hours at the end of the spring term to establish your continued eligibility.
Thank you to our sponsors.