Insurance & Vaccinations

Friends University is offering a student insurance policy through Student Assurance Services. This plan was selected based on the comments and recommendations of a number of students concerned about the rising cost of health insurance coverage. We believe this plan provides a very good level of coverage for the smallest premium obtainable. All F-1 International students are required to sign up for this plan. As a new undergraduate international student joining Friends University for the first time, you will be automatically charged for this plan as part of your initial deposit. If you have questions pertaining to this policy you may contact the Health and Wellness Office at or 316-295-5561. You may also ask your admissions representative.

Student Assurance Services is the plan administrator. Questions regarding the Student Accident and Sickness Plan may be referred to:

Student Assurance Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 3126
Lawrence, KS 66046
You may view the brochure by visiting:

New F-1 International UNDERGRADUATE students should complete an enrollment form after receiving their initial I-20 and forward it to the Health and Wellness Office. Forms may be scanned, faxed or mailed. The enrollment form can be obtained by visiting this website:

Friends University Health & Wellness Office
2100 W. University Ave.
Wichita, KS  67213
Phone 316-295-5661
Fax 316-295-5235

New F-1 International GRADUATE students should register for this plan online by visiting:

The PPO Network is First Health. A provider directory can be found at Please note that benefits may not be covered if services are provided by an out of network provider.
For any questions or concerns, please contact the Health and Wellness Office at or 316-295-5561.

Health Insurance

To protect our International students and ensure that they will be able to receive necessary medical care, Friends University requires all F-1 visa holders to purchase health insurance. The University sponsored plan offers benefits that are unique to the needs of F-1 students that most insurance plans do not cover, including medical evacuation and repatriation.  F-1 students will be unable to register for classes until they are able to show proof of payment for enrollment into the university sponsored health insurance plan for the academic year.  The International Advisor may make exceptions to this requirement on a case by case basis.  An example of a possible exception would be if a current F-1 student’s SEVIS program end date is scheduled to occur in less than 1 year, the student may be allowed to purchase coverage for a semester rather than a year.  Students with more than 1 year left in their program will be required to purchase yearly premiums.


TB prevention and Immunization

Friends University and the State of Kansas have long required F-1 visa holders to be tested for tuberculosis (TB). In the past, the Health and Wellness Office used a skin test to identify students who may have been exposed to TB. Starting in the fall of 2010, the Health and Wellness Office will require those who are considered high-risk for tuberculosis, including all F-1 international students, to be tested with a blood test called Quantiferon (QFT). There are several advantages to using QFT:

• Requires fewer patient visits to complete the TB screening process
• Results are more accurate than the TB skin test
• BCG vaccination does not affect QFT results.

1. All new F-1 students will be required to have the QFT prior to beginning classes. Returning F-1 students may be required to have testing completed at the discretion of the Health and Wellness Coordinator.
2. F-1 students traveling outside of the United States for 90 days or more will be required to contact the Health and Wellness Office upon return to the United States to determine if additional testing will be necessary.

F-1 students may use their university sponsored health insurance for their QFT lab work. All applicable co-pays and deductibles will apply.  If the test is positive, a chest x-ray (CXR) will be required and again all applicable co-pays and deductibles will apply. The Health and Wellness Office will advise the student on further treatment requirements in the event that this occurs. Failure to comply with this policy will result in disenrollment and subsequent notification in SEVIS that you are not maintaining F-1 status.
Call the Health and Wellness Office at 316-295-5561 with any questions.
 Detailed information about screening and treatment for tuberculosis can be found here. Students should undergo TB screening if they have arrived from or spent significant time in any country other than the U.S. the U.S.

Meningitis vaccine

NOTE: This is only mandatory for students living in on-campus housing.
The Centers for Disease Control’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has established guidelines for the meningitis vaccine aimed at all new students including college freshmen living in campus-owned student housing. The American College Health Association supports these guidelines. In response to these efforts, the state of Kansas has mandated that “all incoming students residing in university housing be vaccinated for meningitis or sign a waiver indicating that they refuse to take the vaccine” effective July 1, 2007.

If you plan to live in Friends University housing, you will be required to have a current meningitis vaccine typically received within the past 3-5 years. A meningitis vaccine given as a young child does not meet the “current” requirements. You will need to bring proof of the meningitis vaccine, as well as proof of all of your vaccines (from birth to date) when you come to your orientation meeting.

In an attempt to reduce the risk of this serious disease among the college population and in compliance with state policy, Friends University requires that each first-time resident of a University-owned residence complete and submit a Meningitis Vaccination and Disease Information Form within fifteen (15) days of occupancy of a University-owned residence. Immunizations help decrease the risk of contracting serious diseases. Visit the Centers for Disease Control site for further information on meningitis and meningitis vaccinations.

Immunization information

In the United States, proof of immunization against diphtheria, measles, poliomyelitis and rubella is now universally required for entry into school. In addition, the school entry requirements of most states include immunization against tetanus (usually combined with diphtheria vaccine as Td), pertussis and mumps (usually combined with measles and rubella vaccine as MMR). Hepatitis B immunization is also highly recommended*. (Information acquired from

Contact the University Health & Wellness Office for immunization information.