Insurance & Vaccinations

Friends University is offering a student insurance policy available to students participating in athletics through United Healthcare. We believe this plan provides a very good level of coverage for the smallest premium obtainable.  All undergraduate F-1 International students are required to sign up for this plan. As a new undergraduate international student joining Friends University for the first time, you will be automatically charged for this plan as part of your initial deposit and will be enrolled by your International Advisor. If you have questions pertaining to this policy or would like more information you may email You may also ask your admissions representative.

United Healthcare is the plan administrator. if you have questions regarding the Student Health Insurance Plan you can either download the brochure or visit United Healthcare‘s website.

The PPO Network is Cigna. A provider directory can be found here. Please note that benefits may not be covered if services are provided by an out of network provider.
For any questions or concerns, please email

Health Insurance

To protect our International students and ensure that they will be able to receive necessary medical care, Friends University requires all undergraduate F-1 visa holders to purchase health insurance. The University sponsored plan offers benefits that are unique to the needs of F-1 students that most insurance plans do not cover, including medical evacuation and repatriation.  F-1 students will be unable to register for classes until they are able to show proof of payment for enrollment into the university sponsored health insurance plan for the academic year. The International Advisor may make exceptions to this requirement on a case by case basis.  An example of a possible exception would be if a current F-1 student’s SEVIS program end date is scheduled to occur in less than 1 year, the student may be allowed to purchase coverage for a semester rather than a year.  Students with more than 1 year left in their program will be required to purchase yearly premiums.

  • If you are an athlete and are enrolled in six or more credit hours each semester, you MUST carry U.S.-based health insurance that covers intercollegiate sports.
  • If you are an undergraduate international student and are enrolled in six or more credit hours each semester, you MUST have U.S.-based health insurance that covers repatriation.

If you have enrolled in United Healthcare insurance and need to set up an account with United Healthcare, use this form.

TB prevention and Immunization

Friends University and the State of Kansas have long required F-1 visa holders to be tested for tuberculosis (TB).  Starting in the fall of 2010, the Friends University will require those who are considered high-risk for tuberculosis, including all F-1 international students, to be tested with a blood test called Quantiferon (QFT). There are several advantages to using QFT:

• Requires fewer patient visits to complete the TB screening process
• Results are more accurate than the TB skin test
• BCG vaccination does not affect QFT results.

1. All new F-1 students will be required to have the QFT prior to beginning classes. Returning F-1 students may be required to have testing completed at the discretion of the International Advisor.
2. F-1 students traveling outside of the United States for 90 days or more will be required to contact the International Service Office upon return to the United States to determine if additional testing will be necessary.

If the test is positive, a chest x-ray (CXR) will be required. Email with any questions.

Students should undergo TB screening if they have arrived from or spent significant time in any country other than the United States.

Meningitis vaccine

NOTE: This is only mandatory for students living in on-campus housing.
The Centers for Disease Control’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has established guidelines for the meningitis vaccine aimed at all new students including college freshmen living in campus-owned student housing. The American College Health Association supports these guidelines. In response to these efforts, the state of Kansas has mandated that “all incoming students residing in university housing be vaccinated for meningitis or sign a waiver indicating that they refuse to take the vaccine” effective July 1, 2007.

If you plan to live in Friends University housing, you will be required to have a current meningitis vaccine typically received within the past 3-5 years. A meningitis vaccine given as a young child does not meet the “current” requirements. You will need to bring proof of the meningitis vaccine, as well as proof of all of your vaccines (from birth to date) when you come to your orientation meeting.

In an attempt to reduce the risk of this serious disease among the college population and in compliance with state policy, Friends University requires that each first-time resident of a University-owned residence complete and submit a Meningitis Vaccination and Disease Information Form within fifteen (15) days of occupancy of a University-owned residence. Immunizations help decrease the risk of contracting serious diseases. Visit the Centers for Disease Control site for further information on meningitis and meningitis vaccinations.

Immunization information

In the United States, proof of immunization against diphtheria, measles, poliomyelitis and rubella is now universally required for entry into school. In addition, the school entry requirements of most states include immunization against tetanus (usually combined with diphtheria vaccine as Td), pertussis and mumps (usually combined with measles and rubella vaccine as MMR). Hepatitis B immunization is also highly recommended*. (Information acquired from