International Students

Seeking higher education in a foreign country automatically earns you respect points with us. We value our international partnerships and are pleased that you’re considering a degree from Friends University.

Whether you are just beginning your college career, transferring credits to Friends, seeking evening classes or would like to earn a graduate degree, you’ll find the correct application below.

A $50 application fee, paid to the Office of Admissions, is required for all international students applying to Friends.

If you’re interested in applying for Teacher Education and Graduate Workshops at Friends University, please find more information here.

NOTE: Friends University online and hybrid programs currently do not accept international students who are not physically present in the United States. 

NOTE: All of the information below pertains to traditional Undergraduate and Graduate students only.

Admission Requirements

As an international student, there are a few more requirements for admission, but we’ll walk you through them step by step.

Important Deadlines

  • Application: 60 days before classes begin
  • Arriving:
    • First time in the United States: 15 days before classes begin
    • Transferring from a college or university within the United States: 7 days before classes begin

Financial Documents

  • Complete and sign the financial pledge form(s):
  • Sample 1
  • Sample 2
  • Certificate of financial support
  • Undergraduate international students must submit the official financial document (statement, letter, etc.) from your financial institution (i.e., bank) or sponsor, to show at least $52,066 USD available for the first year of study at Friends University. This must be provided in, or translated into, English.
  • Graduate international students must submit the official financial document (statement, letter, etc.) from your financial institution (i.e., bank) or sponsor, to show at least $17,000 USD for MBA, GMBA, MHCL,MMIS, MSSL degrees, available for the first year of study at Friends University. $13,700 USD must be shown for the Master of Education, and $26,650 USD must be shown for the Master of Science in Family Therapy. This must be provided in, or translated into, English.


All new international students who wish to enroll are required to pay to the university upon enrollment a deposit of US$2,000, which will be applied toward one-year medical insurance, tuition and other deposits/fees.

Friends University has partnered with FlyWire in order to streamline the process of international payments. peerTransfer allows you to pay securely from any country and any bank, generally in your home currency. By making your payment with peerTransfer you can:

  • Track your payments from start to finish
  • Save on bank fees and exchange rates
  • Contact a multilingual customer support team with any questions, day or night

To get started, click or go to: to begin the payment process. If you have questions about making an international payment, visit the FlyWire help page.


Although Friends University currently does not offer full-tuition scholarships, international students meeting its academic criteria upon enrollment can receive a combination of our institutional scholarships.

Find more information about Friends University’s scholarships


All new international students who wish to enroll at Friends University will be required to either write an English placement essay or take an English placement test. Your English proficiency, educational background, and/or country of origin will determine your English requirement.

Non-native English speakers applying from abroad:

To apply, you are required to submit your official test score of TOEFL. Please remember that an official ACT/SAT score can be used in replacement of a TOEFL score for full admittance to Friends University.

  • Minimum TOEFL score of 63 (Internet-based)
  • We currently accept iELTS with a score of 5.5 for proof of English proficiency.
  • We currently accept PTE Academic: Pearson English Language Test, with a score of 45; for proof of English proficiency.
  • A minimum Duolingo score of 90.  Report scores must include the sub scores.  Students who score 80 or above may be considered for Admission on Academic Probation
  • All test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency to Friends University.
  • TOEFL school code: 6224

Non-native English speakers who attended high school/college in the United States:

The director of admissions can waive the TOEFL requirement for students who qualify for the waiver. Students who graduate from high school or attended college in the United States can waive the TOEFL score requirement by presenting one of the following.

  • Official ACT/SAT score
  • Receive a course grade of B or better in an introductory English composition class from an accredited U.S. college or university. Submission of official U.S. college or university transcript is required.

Native English speakers from English speaking countries:

Friends University recognizes the following countries as having English as their official language.

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • American Samoa
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Bahrain
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Caymen Islands
  • Dominica
  • Fiji
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Jamaica
  • Kiribati
  • Liberia
  • Marshall Islands
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Montserrat
  • Namibia
  • Nigeria
  • St. Kitts & Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Sierre Leone
  • South Sudan
  • St Vincent & Grenadines
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • Turks & Caicos
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

If students are from one of the countries listed above and provide documentation of citizenship (passport), the English requirement will be waived. However, they are required to submit ACT/SAT scores, if the cumulative GPA is below a 3.0, for admission.


All international students must submit the official transcripts (academic records) from their high schools or colleges/universities.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)

All undergraduate international students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 point scale to be admitted. Choose from the following categories and find out about your transcript requirement.

All graduate international students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher on a 4.0-point scale to be admitted. Choose from the following categories and find out about your transcript requirement.

I have not attended a school in the United States.

If you have never attended a secondary (high school) or postsecondary (college/university) in the United States, you must provide an official transcript to a NACES accredited service. Official evaluation from a NACES accredited service must be sent directly to Friends University.

  • Choose a company from the NACES members list.
  • Contact the company and ask about transcript evaluation.
  • High school: “general” evaluation of (1) U.S. high school equivalency, (2) high school GPA, and (3) graduation date.
  • College/university: “course-by-course” evaluation of (1) U.S. college/university equivalency, (2) hours, (3) GPA, (4) course-by course evaluation, (5) graduation date if applicable.
  • International Education Evaluations (IEE) Please select the “Education Course Report (US). Evaluations are completed in three days after all documents are received.
  • Student may also use Spantran ( or InCred ( for their transcript evaluation. (If you choose InCred we would strongly prefer the course-by-course evaluation.)
    • Official evaluations must be sent directly to Friends University from the evaluation company (not from you or anyone else).

I have attended a school in the United States.

If you have attended a secondary (high school) or postsecondary (college/university) in the United States, you must request an official transcript from the institution be sent directly to Friends University.

Graduate student requirements only.

Being a graduate student here at Friends University requires a few extra steps to get you fully admitted.

  • We require an updated professional resume.
  • We require a professional recommendation. PDF will be provided by an international advisor.
  • A writing sample and program director interview maybe required if the students cumulative GPA is below at 2.75.

Pre-Arrival Information

Apply for a Student Visa

  • SEVIS I-901: The fee for SEVIS I-901, a government document, must be paid online with a credit card (recommended) BEFORE applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate and/or before entering the United States. A paper form of I-901 can also be submitted by mail.

For more detailed information, visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program at

Transferring from another U.S. school

After receiving the admission letter from Friends University, international students transferring from another U.S. school must submit the completed and signed Transfer In Request Form. This form verifies the student has the immigration status necessary to transfer.

Traveling Between Schools

Transfer students may travel and re-enter the U.S. any time between school programs. However, transfer students must re-enter with their Friends University I-20 and not the previous school’s document. F-1 students must have valid visa stamps to re-enter the US.

Reporting 15 days before the program start date

Initial F-1 visa international students and transfer students must report to the International Student Adviser within 15 days of the program start date.


Friends University offers a student insurance policy through UnitedHealthcare StudentResources.  As a new international student joining Friends University for the first time, you will be automatically enrolled in this plan. All F-1 International students are required to sign up for this plan unless a student is able to show proof of a current health insurance policy that extends coverage while in the United States, and meets the minimum requirements.


New F-1 International  students will be enrolled in this plan through the International Service Office. You may review the plan brochure and obtain more information about this insurance policy by visiting the following website:  Consolidated Health Plans

Students may contact the International Service Office with any questions related to insurance.

International Service Office
2100 W. University Ave.
Wichita, KS  67213
Phone 316-295-5816
Fax 316-295-5720


Completion of the Tuberculosis (TB) Questionnaire is required for all first-time on-campus enrollees; including international students. International Students are also required to complete Tuberculosis (TB) testing prior to enrolling in courses. The International Service Office will assist you in scheduling and completing TB testing if necessary.
If you test negative for TB, no further testing is required. If you test positive for TB, the International Service Office will assist you in scheduling a mandatory chest x-ray and discussing further treatment options with a medical professional.


all first time freshman must live on campus and transfers have the option to live on or off campus. There are many on-campus housing options at Friends University. Find detailed information about each option

If you choose to live off campus, there are many houses and apartments for rent near the Friends University campus. Ask your International Student Adviser for information about available options.


  • Flight destination: Wichita (city), Kansas (state).
  • Airport: Dwight D. Eisenhower Airport (airport code: ICT).
  • Recommended arrival date: at least 15 days before the program start date

Air transportation to and from the student’s home country is the responsibility of the student/guardians. Students are required to have a round-trip ticket.

All international students entering the U.S. will be directed to secondary inspection after completing the first level of screening by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). Secondary inspections give CBP access to the Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to confirm students’ eligibility for entry to the U.S.

If you will have connecting flights following your arrival to the U.S., we recommend allowing additional time between flights (minimum 2-3 hours).


Friends University representatives will provide transportation from Dwight D. Eisenhower Airport (ICT) to the Friends University campus. To arrange transportation prior to arrival, please contact the Admissions Office at or complete the shuttle reservation form.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have collegiate sports, in which I have an opportunity to participate?
Yes, Friends University is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and competes in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC).

Can I receive a full-ride scholarship for participating in Athletics or Fine Arts?
Friends University does not offer any full-ride scholarships but students can receive multiple scholarships through academic, athletic, and fine arts programs.

Do I need to take an English Comprehensive Test to gain admission to Friends University?
Yes, if English is not your national language, you will be required to submit a PTE with a score of 45 or IELTS with a score of 5.5, TOEFL with a score of 63, or Duolingo with a score of 90.

When is a suitable time to start the admissions process?
Three months before the start of the chosen term.